Thread: FedEx: Import Duty and VAT

Thanks

FedEx: Import Duty and VAT

It's been frustrating because I have ordered camera body (without lens) through South African Vendor (Cameraquip) and the rig from Redrock Micro in the US (Texas). They stopped the first parcel (camera body) and contacted me requesting for importer code and I told them I placed an order through Cameraquip (South African Company). The import duty and VAT were paid in advance by Cameraquip. I contacted the vendor and it was cleared after 5 working days. It was so unnecessary.

...and now there is another parcel (Redrock Micro) they stopped, understandably because I still need to pay for import duty and VAT. What frustrated me the most is that they just send me the tracking update with this "Please don't reply to this as it is automated email sent from the system" and they didn't provide details to contact to. Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.) I don't have importer's code because it is not mandatory - the value of goods ($) is below R 20 000 and the cameraquip was responsible for the first parcel which was paid in full by them. I'm not prepared to wait 60 working days for the importer code from SARS.

Any advice how to approach FedEX or should I approach SARS instead?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't have an answer for you but I can say that I've had a similar nasty experience with DHL, even though I have an importers code. They filled the documentation out incorrectly and i ended up paying in cash and time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It all depends, if you have paid for the lens, then try and clear by paying the VAT and duty, else you lose the first investment of the lens.
    If you haven not paid then leave it for cameraquip to sort out.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.