Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming clean with SARS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Here's a thought - are you already registered with SARS as a tax payer? If not, I would simply wander into SARS and ask to be registered and only answer questions when they're asked.
    If it was done this way would he still qualify for the amnesty?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess not - but it's something that must happen to SARS all the time. Old survival strategy - move with the herd.

Thanks
    I suggest the same as Dave, i.e. if you are not registered as a taxpayer. Complete the registration form, you just have to complete basic personal details and estimate your current annual income. Once you receive your tax number (they will send you a letter confirming registration), call the call centre and confirm if there are any tax returns outstanding. A client of mine was in your situation recently and luck for him, he is only liable from this current tax year.

If you are registered with SARS, it will not hep to avoid the issue as each year they are getting less lenient. Take it in bite sizes (like you would eat a elephant). There are two things you are avoiding here, first the non-submission of the returns; and secondly the non-payment of taxes (if payable). Get the first part out of the way - submit outstanding returns (they are now penalizing people left right and centre for that). If taxes are payable, worry about that last.

Good luck!

4. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (18-May-11), Perform Computers (19-May-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    I will go see them tomorrow and report back. What I really need is a tax clearance certificate, because I am working on a huge opportunity.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Time for me to face the never ending queue & get this sorted out too.

Thanks
    That is great to hear.

I suggest downloading the forms beforehand and completing it. You can drop it in the box (outside) as it is no point in standing in long queues when all they going to do is take the form in. For some reason, they do not register you there on the spot (but phone to confirm if this is still so as they change their methods constantly). Also, you do not want to answer unnecessary questions. Call the call centre once a week to check if your ID No. has been allocated a tax number. Tax season is open soon so they will be processing new applications fast.

I have attacehd the application form if you need it. If both of you are business owners, indicate on the form that you must be registered for provisional tax.

Regarding the tax clearance, they will not issue one until all tax affairs are up to date.

Wish you both luck and hope to hear how it went soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (19-May-11)

Thanks
    *attached

Email problem
    Thanks
    I must applaud the efficiency at the SARS office in Pretoria. I have a tax clearance certificate. This totally exceeded my expectations, but I think they see big money in future taxes. So I will have to be creative and totally above board about what I am planning to do now.

Thanks
    Lucky you !

Mine took a few weeks.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apprepcen View Post
    I must applaud the efficiency at the SARS office in Pretoria. I have a tax clearance certificate. This totally exceeded my expectations, but I think they see big money in future taxes. So I will have to be creative and totally above board about what I am planning to do now.
    Let us know how did they handle the no tax return saga?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.