I've seen a fair storm being whipped up about a proposal for a blogger's code of conduct.

The actual call for a Blogger's Code of Conduct is here, and the draft proposal has 7 main points which are expanded on in the blog.
  1. Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
  2. Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
  3. Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
  4. Ignore the trolls.
  5. Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
  6. If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
  7. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.

I'm seeing the issue being commented on quite widely. Here's an example published in mainstream media:
As noble as this idea may seem, there are flaws in the concept, and the prevalent of these is the human race. The one thing that we do very well is to give an opinion. Everyone sees it as their human right to say and write what they want. We hold freedom of speech close to our hearts.

The draft suggest that blog site owners put up logos to warn potential readers about what they can expect by adding one of two logos - either the "Civility Enforced" logo or the "anything goes" logo.

As this draft would suggest the omission of anonymous comments, this would be an "infringement upon freedom of expression" already reported by some sites. Even though this is still only a draft, there is no way of enforcing this code on any person or site.

How people use and interact on the internet is probably the single most difficult thing to regulate or to provide a standard for. The internet has to provide an outlet for people to give their views. Blog sites have become a very popular communication tool to provide just this - giving people easy access to be part of the internet community.

Personally, I would stick to "anything goes" on my blogs, and would encourage people to say what they want - I don't have to agree with what is said, but I will respect it.
Johan Brink - extracted from an article on Fin24 here
Having seen and dealt with some of what people try to post here in a forum format, I can't agree with the "anything goes" concept. I'd say that you should give some pretty wide latitude, but it needs to be at least civil and kinda "on topic."

Anyway, a pretty interesting subject if you are a blogger or forumite. I was wondering if members here might have any views they wish to share on this.