Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to run an email marketing campaign!

Thanks

How to run an email marketing campaign!

Email campaigns account for half of the contents of my inbox. It's a mix of Nordstrom’s sales days, Yelp restaurant coupons, Travelocity deals, and iTunes music, plus a dozen newsletters I subscribe to.

I may be the target of a slick promotional campaign, but it doesn't feel that way. That’s the beauty of an email campaign that's skillfully executed. It's also the goal of professional marketers.

If you want your emails to dazzle your customers, read on. The low cost and ease of email marketing makes it an essential tool for business owners. Email marketing helps businesses:

get instant responses from existing customers.
    build long-term relationships with loyal customers.
    notify customers about a special offer or invitation.

Send emails
    Databases integrate with popular mail programs: Outlook, Entourage, Apple Mail. The emails that you chose to send, are stacked in the drafts folder so you can schedule to send them on the right day at the right time for your recipients. Timing of the email is important. Business users arrive on Monday morning to a full inbox. Send your emails Monday afternoon or Tuesday. Also, if you’re marketing to business people at their offices, send it early in the week rather than on a Friday. If you’re sending to homes, recent studies show that Sundays are best!

Process opt-outs
    You must provide info on how a recipient can opt-out of receiving your email by adding a line after your physical mailing address at the bottom of the email. The wording is similar to this, You are receiving this email because you or someone used this email address to subscribe to this email. To unsubscribe from this email, please reply with REMOVE in the subject line to discontinue receiving Special Offer emails from us.
    Honor your customers’ wishes as quickly as possible after you send a message. Keep in mind that customers who don’t want to receive your emails may change their minds…..

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hi Mirelle,

Any more tips&tricks for an email marketing campaign? Like to know more, since I don't want to p*ss people off with the emails I'm planning on sending them!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to see an e-mail marketing campaign that does not p*ss me off!

Why?
    1. The frequency of those e-mails (seriously, even weekly is pushing it)
    2. The content of each e-mail (specials/giveaways/discounts/membership/prizes/limited offer... YAWN)
    3. Where the %^$*# did they get my e-mail address?

So I would really also love to know how it should be done properly. If there is an effective way, I might just consider using it myself, but for now I steer clear of it.

Thanks
    I have been using MailChimp to send out my newsletters and to keep in touch with my client base (about 300 subscribers).

The important thing is to add value, not just push products. Also, it is critical that you only add subscribers with whom you already have a business relationship, so that there is an established level of trust and credibility in place. Otherwise, subscribers must join voluntarily and there must be an opt-out link on each message.

When I first embarked on my email campaign, my opening newsletter asked my client base what they would like to see in my newsletters and how often they would like to receive them.

I have had a lot of very favourable feedback from my clients so far, so hopefully I have got the right mix!
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Neville, your approach makes a lot of sense: Add value to subscribers who actually want your communications. And wow, I think 300 is a lot! Well done. Yay, motorhome on its way!

But does that qualify as an "e-mail marketing campaign"? Like the type Mirelle referred to here? I got the impression Mirelle was talking about advertising to the public at large, in the hope of gaining new customers. Now those type of campaignes still feel like an invasion of my privacy.

Thanks
    Personally I’m very suspicious with emails. The opt-out needs to be very clear (in fact its good if you can send a please-confirm-you-want-to-be-emailed- Email first)

and never make them sound too sales-ey

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I like the way that Neville runs his campaign. Allowing people to subscribe and adding value in stead of sending it blindly to a mailing list is a cheap and effective way of keeping in touch with clients.

I get mad at the other types of ihopeyouopenthismailsoicansellyousomething e-mail campaigns which is is nothing but mindless cold calling.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    When I first embarked on my email campaign, my opening newsletter asked my client base what they would like to see in my newsletters and how often they would like to receive them.

I have had a lot of very favourable feedback from my clients so far, so hopefully I have got the right mix!
    This is a pretty good idea for the Newsletter, and since my first one still needs to go out, I’ll definitely use this!. It’s also a great way to start of a two-way communication with my prospective customers and suppliers.

But like Mother, I was also under the impression this thread was more about advertising. And since I’m totally new in the market out there, I need to find a way to promote myself first before I can send out newsletters to interested parties.

So far I’ve been reading on this forum that call calling is not the way, email marketing is not advised and that plain advertising is a shot in the dark.

I was hoping this forum would help me out with giving me ideas on how to manage certain aspects of my business, but so far it only confuses me and advises me against all ideas I had in to get myself promoted out there.

I do hope somebody has some good tips on how the proper way is to promote a completely new business, even if I don’t have any leads or customer / supplier base yet. I can use a bit of positive enforcement!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nienke, what is your business/product and who is your target market?

Suspended
    Thanks
    @Mother:
    I'm starting an online site where customers can buy vouchers. These vouchers can be spent for booking an accommodation for free for 2 people for 2 nights. The only thing they need to do is have both lunch and dinner at the accommodation. From the accommodations perspective: This means a free room for guaranteed 4 dinners and 4 breakfasts.

The advantage for the accommodations is that since the customers pays us, it’s free for them. Also, this will only be at their low periods. An accommodation has on average an occupancy rate of about 50%, which means that half of the rooms are always empty.
    So with us they can choose between an empty room with its costs involved, or a booked room with a profit against it.
    This is actually a concept which is huge everywhere in Europe (UK, Germany, Holland, etc.), which we're now introducing here. To clarify: It is not a last minute booking, as there are many. This is accommodations using their knowledge about their occupancy in advance and use this to their benefit.

But to come back to the issue on hand:
    Both my company as the concept is new and I am currently busy recruiting accommodations. I'm not yet open for business, because I want to present the customers a good choice, which at this stage I don’t have yet. Therefore I don’t want to go big yet on marketing campaigns etc.
    So I need to contact the accommodations, explain my company and my product to them.

And here is the confusion from my side: Cold calling is not advised, sending ‘annoying’ emails is not advised, so I’m in a bit of a jam. How else to inform them about us?

Well, this is as short as I could get it, hopefully some good advice comes my way!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast