Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Companies Act and Informal SME?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    MOI - Memorandum of Incorporation (or something similar). Basically its the rules and constitution of your business.

The new type of company and the old cc are virtually the same thing, especially for owner managed businesses. There isn't really a strong argument either way at the moment. So I'd let inertia rule for now and not do anything.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have just been thro this and started another business. Have taken over an existing cc from 2008 which was deregistered - re-registered the cc by paying the penalties from 2008 only. Cost about R1000. Before 2008 you need not worry about. I have been told that we have 10 years to still use the old cc whereby you have to convert. If you convert within two years from the beginning of this year it is free of charge, but no more trading as !!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Kevinb. I still maintain a different view on this "trading as" rule.

If you have been using a "trading as" name for a while before 2011, then you can continue using it.
    If the cc you have bought has been using a "trading as" name for a while before 2011, then you can continue using it.

If you want to start using a new "trading as" name now, you cannot without registering trademarks or new companies with that specific name or through some other formal mechanism with CIPC.

The new "trading as" rules apply to any new name you want to use. It is irrelevant which type of organisation is going to use this "trading" name. It can be a pty / cc / trust / ltd, whatever, old or new, it doesn't matter. So I'm not sure how purchasing an old cc helps your case for using a new trading name. Nor do I agree with the opinion that conversion to a pty means you lose your existing right to use your existing trading name ... yet.

Admittedly there is a lot of confusion on this topic at the moment, so other opinions welcome.

Suspended
    Thanks
    What I said was if you buy an old cc you have to apply to obviously change to the name to what you want, then you cant /wont be a trading as. Ok....... we want to change the cc name because it is the name of a person. ............ i think we are saying the same thing here

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ahhh, okay yes we are on the same track. I did not realise you were planning on changing the name of the cc. By doing this you are right, you no longer even need to be "trading as". And this is exactly want the CPA wanted. It wants people to use their company names to trade and not simply make up any name when it suits them.

Based on the above, I am still not sure why you went to the effort of buying an old cc. Why not simply open a new pty with the name you intend to change your cc to? The end result is the same I suppose, but are you not worried about unknown debts in the cc? A new company will have a clean slate.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Its cheaper to buy an existing cc than to open a new pty ltd at the mo. No not worried - it was a dormant cc and I know the history.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    The Consumer Protection Act (CPA) prohibits you from using a trading name, unless:
    - You have registered it at CIPC as a Defensive Name - renewable every 2 years, or
    - You (in this case the partnership) has been using it for at least 12 months prior to the introduction of the act.

The registration of either a proposed name or a defensive name is prohibited if the name is the subject of a de-registration for non-compliance with regard to annual returns.

The CPA prescribes additional burdens regarding business names with regard to natural persons. I am not sure how this extends, if at all, to partnerships offhand.

It seems to me your best avenue would be to restore your cc.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, didn't see page 3!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE-TRIANGLE View Post
    Sorry, didn't see page 3!
    Don't sweat it - I've made the same mistake myself many times.

Besides which the point was worth repeating

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Register a defensive name . it will cost you R200, it lasts for 2 years and will need to be renewed every two years. If it was deregistered not due to annual returns - why was it deregistered?

Thats the name issue out of the ways.

The creditor issue will not change merely due to the fact that the CC was deregistered unless it was advertised in the newspaper and the Govt Gazette. - Normal presription will apply.

The Partnership - will fall outside of the companies act as far as I am concerned as it in not a legal entity, HOWEVER, another may view such as, Im not sure what the name is for it, coat tailing or something like that and can merely complete a CoR135.1 and have the entire partnership investigated. Hence I would again place an advert in the Star or a well recognised newspaper stating that the CC is now a partnership, and all interested parties must make contact with you etc etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast