Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New laptop blues

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Just keep it organized or the process will always be painful.
    Easier said than done. Sifting through, I see I actually transferred the works from my previous laptop 6 years ago, and did the same with the one before that. What I have here is a collection of all sorts of things going back over ten years.

I think I've got a plan though. I'm going to transfer what I obviously use regularly + the statutory stuff I have to keep for 5 years etc. + photos (which surprisingly is fairly organised. I'll leave the rest on the old machine and whatever I don't need over the next few months will be assumed as ready for the bin.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I may make a suggestion Dave, Please copy “everything” as bulk to a desktop computer “as there DVD burners are cheaper to replace” and just back the lot up to DVD. That why you always know that “yes if I need it I can still recover it”

Trust me on this one; it is always when you think you don’t need something when it becomes absolutely critical. It always happens I promise you. I have recovered many “scrapped” HDD data by means of “special software” to the extreme of Frankensteining the HDD to get the data back. I am successful “most of the time” but not even a pro can get data back once the physical medium is lost forever.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    ......I see I actually transferred the works from my previous laptop 6 years ago, and did the same with the one before that......

....I'm going to transfer what I obviously use regularly + the statutory stuff I have to keep for 5 years etc. + photos (which surprisingly is fairly organised. I'll leave the rest on the old machine and whatever I don't need over the next few months will be assumed as ready for the bin.
    Dave, I strongly urge you to rethink your proposed strategy. What you're suggesting here is going to eventually result in the stifling of technological progress and could even put homo sapiens back in the Dark Age. The motivating force behind drive space increasing exponentially over the last two decades is nothing more than people refusing to spring clean their computers. You're about to upset this delicately balanced apple cart.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK then, can't risk collapsing the digital economy. (He says after running the Easy Transfer wizard this afternoon and ending up transferring the whole lot anyway ).

Email problem
    Thanks
    It's weird though. I'm in the IT industry & I always tell clients to backup & what will happen if they don't. Yet, I hardly ever backup my data at home / office. Until that dreaded day comes when your rig locks up and you're like, "Eish".

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dave! I am officially turning this into a blame thread because the day you posted this, my laptop decided it was time for some "rest"!

It's weird though. I'm in the IT industry & I always tell clients to backup & what will happen if they don't. Yet, I hardly ever backup my data at home / office. Until that dreaded day comes when your rig locks up and you're like, "Eish".
    I know that feeling all too well, Andrew! Thank goodness for Dropbox!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Dave! I am officially turning this into a blame thread because the day you posted this, my laptop decided it was time for some "rest"!
    If it helps make you feel better, that's fine with me

On the bright side, the decision to get something new has been taken out of your hands.
    I'd been pushing back on getting a new machine for at least a year.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am actually interested now... If you don’t mind Dave what new notebook did you get for yourself? Please tell me it is alienware
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15.6" i5 - priced at just under R6500.00 at Makro I thought it was a reasonable deal - way better priced and with a better spec than the pricecheck options.

Not too fancy, but plenty good enough for my needs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    From the looks of it, it seems like good runner; the GPU is reasonable. I hope it gives you much joy. I myself like HP but they lost the plot... In all honesty DELL is rocking at the moment still expensive...
    peace is a state of mind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.