Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastel Bank Manager Module

Silver Member
    Thanks

Question Pastel Bank Manager Module

Hi,

I just wanted to get an idea of the general feeling about this module...

Do you use it often?
    How much time does it save you (%)?
    Is it worth the cost?
    Any other comments?

Thanks!
    J7J

Thanks
    I have never used it but does not mean you should not. I guess it depends on your needs.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J7J View Post
    Do you use it often?
    Yes, as a Pastel consultant, I use it all the time!

That depends on your circumstances - if you have lengthy bank statements, with a lot of repetitive transactions, like debit orders and EFT payments and receipts, then it can be a tremendous time saver, not to mention the benefit of more accurate and consistent allocations.

Is it worth the cost?
    Any other comments?
    Yes, it is, if you are in the situation I've described above. Just one word of caution, which Pastel do not make very clear in their fine print, is that you need to be an active Pastel Cover subscriber, on your entire Pastel system, in order to keep the Bank Manager module active! The same applies to the Cash Manager module, by the way.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

4. Thank given for this post:

J7J (14-Apr-11), KimH (13-Apr-11)

Thanks
    Slightly - I collected my Pastel Accounting Xpress upgrade yesterday and I am totally thrilled to see it has a Projects module. Happy days

Yes,... I know I'm weird
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Thanks
    Kim, sorry to burst your bubble, but the new Project Tracking module is only available as an add-on module for Pastel Partner, not for Pastel Xpress.

Although you can see a reference to the word "Projects", it is merely a renaming of the old Cost Codes utility, which has and still exists in its current form in both Xpress and Partner.

The Project Tracking module, however, is a massive enhancement of the old Cost Code utility, allowing you to have multi-levels of projects, together with budgets and full income statement reports.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Do you use it often?
    Is it worth the cost?
    Any other comments?
    My book keeper uses it every month.

I think Neville answers the question quite well as it all depends on how often the items on your bank statement are repeated and how many items you have.

I find it to be a wonderful innovation from Pastel, but again as Neville mentioned, Pastel require me to be part of their annual Cover Subscription. And this is where I lose my sense of humour. Their cover offers me free support (haven't used their support this century), all upgrades (oh joy, I get to re-buy their software program each year even if there are no significant improvements in the next version - sorry, but I'd rather wait for an upgrade when a new version benefits me significantly) and you get their newsletter.

So essentially I'm paying over R6k a year in order to receive their spam, which I have yet to read.

That said, its probably worth it to me as I have paid it for the last 2 years just to have the bank manager module. It does leave a bitter taste though. I am continuously looking for other accounting packages who do the same thing. The closest I found was Econo Accounting, but then I lose out on other Pastel features.

8. Thanks given for this post:

J7J (14-Apr-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Kim, sorry to burst your bubble, but the new Project Tracking module is only available as an add-on module for Pastel Partner, not for Pastel Xpress.

Although you can see a reference to the word "Projects", it is merely a renaming of the old Cost Codes utility, which has and still exists in its current form in both Xpress and Partner.

The Project Tracking module, however, is a massive enhancement of the old Cost Code utility, allowing you to have multi-levels of projects, together with budgets and full income statement reports.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    It's an awesome improvement all the same and will make my life just a tad easier
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input! Appreciate your time.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I went ahead and got the Bank Manager Module - I am so chuffed! Already saved me a lot of time :-)

One thing that I noticed - it does not seem to pick up "duplications" of entries on the bank statement - ie. if a transaction is included on 2 different imported bank statements, you can code this transaction twice and import it twice and then update both batches containing the same transaction. Is there a way around this or do you just have to manually check that you are not duplicating transactions?

Thanks
    J7J, I'm glad you are happy with the Bank Manager module, but I need to give you a little rap on the knuckles for not asking me for a quote before purchasing the module!

Anyway, to answer your question - you are correct in that you need to ensure that imported bank statements do not overlap, as the module does not (yet) have the ability to pick that up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast