Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: consumer protection act causing price increases?

Suspended
    Thanks

consumer protection act causing price increases?

so who is it protecting...the consumer ? they should have added a clause in the consumer act..." no prices are to be increased.

just for the record i am busy revising a quote which has to be in by the end of bussiness today...EVERY single price has increased between R10 - R150 per item and we are talking items ranging between R5 and R600...so you have to ask yourself has it made it any better for the consumer...some how i think not.

price increases effective the 1 april 2011 and i thought it was an april fools day joke...let me just bend over and hold my anckles again....soeveryone can carryo on shafting me.
    when i read an email the other day informing me that out of every R10 i earn R6 goes to tax etc and i am only left with R4 well it seems it has just moved to being left with R3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just pass those price increases on, Murdock.

Thanks
    If I may play devil's advocate here...

If I was a retailer with highly breakable goods on my shelves, and I am no longer allowed to put up a sign that says "If you break it you pay for it", then how do I cover myself? I put up my prices!

Any other suggestions?
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post

If I was a retailer with highly breakable goods on my shelves, and I am no longer allowed to put up a sign that says "If you break it you pay for it", then how do I cover myself? I put up my prices!

Any other suggestions?
    Hi Nevile,

How about a criminal case of damage to property due to negligence?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    so who get the short end of the stick again...the consumer...poor suckers (including myself you and anyone who buys anything)...we just cant win.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Any other suggestions?
    Armour glass works wonders, secondly a good insurance and security systems will also ease things over. That said just state “Due to new laws and insurance policies we must decline the handling of goods by our Customers” let the law makers deal with the problem...?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    so who get the short end of the stick again...the consumer...poor suckers (including myself you and anyone who buys anything)...we just cant win.
    I seriously don’t like losing; remember the law is both a blessing and a burden. I would imagine that contracts will become the “compromise”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Armour glass works wonders, secondly a good insurance and security systems will also ease things over.
    More costs that the retailers need to recover somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    That said just state “Due to new laws and insurance policies we must decline the handling of goods by our Customers” let the law makers deal with the problem...?
    In fact, the new Consumer Protection Act specifically states that consumers are entitled to handle and touch goods that are on display!

Thanks
    In fact, the new Consumer Protection Act specifically states that consumers are entitled to handle and touch goods that are on display!
    Great now I can walk in to a Computer store insist they install Pastel to test drive it. Then turn around and say it doesn't allow deleting of entries as an example so I don't want it and then walk out and refuse to pay. Or am I misreading this.
    Last edited by IanF; 04-Apr-11 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Great now I can walk in to a Computer store insist they install Pastel to test drive it. Then turn around and say it doesn't allow deleting of entries as an example so I don't want it and then walk out and refuse to pay. Or am I misreading this.
    Haha! Nice try, but I don't think so somehow - but you got me thinking... I will scour the Act for the relevant clause for software products, if one exists...

Here is an extract of the Act pertaining to the issue I was referring to earlier:

Section C: Para 18 (1): "Despite any statement or notice to the contrary, a consumer is not responsible for any loss or damage to any goods displayed by a supplier, unless the loss or damage results from action by the consumer amounting to gross negligence or recklessness, malicious behaviour or criminal conduct."

Guess it's quite open to interpretation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.