Thread: Sell or Rent

Thanks

Sell or Rent

Hubby and I have been looking at relocating closer to our family because of our baby girl, so we are now starting the process of calling estate agents. Currently staying near Honeydew, Northern Suburbs.

We aren't solely interested in selling, we will look into renting our property as well, however is it a good time to sell or rent our property?

The rental dept vs sales dept seem to have different opinions, possibly because they both want the business.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're selling to buy again the state of the market might seem irrelevant. However, property does come with high entry and exit costs. This would argue towards renting the property and (if affordable) buying a second - or renting.

The thing is some properties are more suited to renting than others. Ideally it should be low maintenance, clean but "tough." Tenants aren't famous for maintenance, and who can blame them.

Thanks
    One Sunday we went to view homes on show in the area of interest, a beautiful house for sale at R2.5 mil, or the option to rent at R12 000.00 per month. At this stage I have no interest in buying, your statement is very true Dave,
    property does come with high entry and exit costs

Thanks
    I compare property to a row of ladders, if you are on a rung you can climb up, but if you change ladders you have to take a lower rung on the next ladder.
    As far as fluctuating property values go al the ladders go up or down at the same rate, like on a ship, if you decide to move sideways it will make no difference to your position on the ladder.

The only way you lose value is if you buy at the peak of a cycle and sell immediately for less in a down cycle without replacing the property.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256