Thread: Well done Mr President!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well done Mr President!

Ever since Thabo Mbeki befriended Robert Mugabe at Victoria Falls in 2000, most us born Zimbabweans have been shocked, saddened and demoralized by the stance taken by Africa leaders, starting with Mbeki, as regards Mugabe and his thugs.
    There has been a consistent theme - "heads" Mugabe wins, "tails" the people lose.
    In this way a completely unworkable "power sharing" agreement WAS FORCED on Zimbabwe which, predictably, only worked to Mugabe's advantage.
    To be very fair to Mbeki, he was simply displaying a long established culture that is embedded at the United Nations itself. Simply put the cultural dogma is - "leaders matter, people don't!" As a result the UN has long since been a house in which leaders trade in assets, power and influence, regardless of the interests of humanity.

Remember that Idi Amin was being routinely given ovations at the UN just months before he was deposed.
    So the UN has always been just about as effective as a punctured condom in advancing the interests of humanity and the planet. That is why we have had Rwanda, Bosnia, Gukuranhundi, and a host of other pogroms, where humanity has been savaged at the whim of leaders.

South Africa has a pretty awful human rights record at the UN, having supported the thugs in Burma and blocking the resolution on rape, just for starters.

Tunisia and Egypt has given the UN a wake up call. Things have now changed fundamentally. Ordinary human beings are no longer prepared to put up with the machinations of bad leaders. The UN appears to have heeded the message.

It appears, so has South Africa. It voted with other nations in supporting a "pro people" resolution as regards Libyia. This is a first for the UN ... and is a 1st for SA.

Our President, Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma, must be congratulated. In supporting the resolution we even broke ranks with India and Brazil with whom we are understandably aligning ourselves as regards our economic future under IBSA.

We must believe that SA is now aligned to a new culture ... where people come first ... not leaders. It was the vote of "ordinary people" (branch members of the ANC) that got rid of "tyrant loving Mbeki" and installed "people loving Zuma" at Polokwane.
    We must believe that JZ will continue to hold a brief for ordinary people.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNG53 View Post
    In this way a completely unworkable "power sharing" agreement WAS FORCED on Zimbabwe which, predictably, only worked to Mugabe's advantage.
    To be very fair to Mbeki, he was simply displaying a long established culture that is embedded at the United Nations itself. Simply put the cultural dogma is - "leaders matter, people don't!" As a result the UN has long since been a house in which leaders trade in assets, power and influence, regardless of the interests of humanity.

Remember that Idi Amin was being routinely given ovations at the UN just months before he was deposed.
    So the UN has always been just about as effective as a punctured condom in advancing the interests of humanity and the planet. That is why we have had Rwanda, Bosnia, Gukuranhundi, and a host of other pogroms, where humanity has been savaged at the whim of leaders.
    Chris
    That is the first time I have read about "leaders matter" in connection with the UN and it is so apt. I remember watching a AU meeting where Mugabe got a standing ovation when he entered the hall. He had a few days earlier had a rant about the British. That was when I thought that African leaders don't care about the people, this could probably apply to quite a few world leaders. What is sad is we the people allow them to get to power.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well done Mr President!

IanF -- This culture of "leaders matter, people don't" is self apparent when you consider the total ineffectiveness of the UN to date, at preventing genocide in any number of instances.
    A simple "cost/benefit" test reveals the UN as the most ineffective entity in the history of the world by a very long way. I know that as long as 10 years ago it was generating 70 tons of paper a day that nobody was ever going to read.
    The currency that the UN trades in is "assets, power and influence" in service of the interests of leaders ... NOT HUMAN RIGHTS!
    That is why you will always hear a very big hoo hah about "regime change" from African leaders in particular and sweet bugger all about human rights.
    They are 100% paranoid about regime change.

Thanks
    Oh, from time to time they learn a new word or phrase and it gets ridden to pieces. You can name them - racism, apartheid, human rights, we straggel and I'm sure there were a few more.
    At the rate they do learn it is going to take many centuries ;-)
    Regards
    Fanie

Thanks
    Hi Chris,
    Zuma is a good example of what I would call a "Chameleon Politician". Wherever he goes in the country he just changes his coat to suit that particular event. He makes the talk but without walking the talk. I do not trust him or any politician for that matter.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well done Mr President!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Hannan View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Zuma is a good example of what I would call a "Chameleon Politician". Wherever he goes in the country he just changes his coat to suit that particular event. He makes the talk but without walking the talk. I do not trust him or any politician for that matter.
    Anyway, his political advisors should be fired for crass incompetence. The fact that the "AU solution", that the Zuma led task team was sent to go and sell in Libya, was never going to be accepted was as predictable as can be.

Even a fool knows that the Mbeki/Mugabe/Zim/GNU will never again work. The world has changed. It started with immolation in Tunisia. Also, the Libyans cannot be held to ransom - they have oil!

I somehow feel sad that he was sent on "a fool's errant". It was, in effect, a set up.

You can fool some of the people some of the time .......

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.