here are some of my suggestions...please feel free to add or comment on my list...i believe we need to start putting a positive spin on the electrical industry.

a database should be setup with a list of every single contractor and inspectors details...to be kept on record for the public or other contractors to view.

every single COC sold or distributed must be recording with details of who purchased and stored in the same ecb database

a copy of every single coc should be sent/emailed to the ecb to be kept on record...and for a competent person to do random checks on the coc and installations.

contractors should work on apoint system like the drivers license...you mess up no lables etc 1 point...you mess up big time...immediate suspension of your license...points to be determined according to danger scale...and once you have completed a a series of refresher courses and been approved by a panel your license can be reissued.

every single inspector from a single phase tester to a master electrician should have to collect points over a 5 year period by attending courses relevant to his/her qualification...not enough points collected suspension of your license or down grade to points collected.

just some ideas i have come up with...no heavy penalties big fines etc unless you are caught testing while your license is suspended...this way people who are maste relctrician and did their test 20 years ago and dont work in this enviroment or dont do testing could have their red card reduced to an installation tester.

just my 2 c worth.

to add...i also feel the ecb should have a website which can be accessed by the contractors and public to ask questions and be answered by suitabley skilled people with queries relating to technical issues with regards to the sans code/codes....this i feel is extremely important...a good example is this issue with generators...and in general COCs not even being filled correctly...this is a common issue i find in the industry...many COCs i investigate are not even filled in correctly...which would normally indicate the test where not done correctly either.