Thread: Old customer wants to return.

Thanks

Old customer wants to return.

How do you tell an old customer that you don't want them back

A customer from a few years back has asked us to quote but they are not worth the agro they caused. They have now sent us their artwork and want us to quote. Normally I would double my normal price and see if they can bear the pain. But this is one we just don't want back.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Triple your price and payment up front

Otherwise just say you can't do it. Make up something: Too busy; not the type of work you can do.

Or simply say no thanks.

Thanks
    I just emailed and said we won't be quoting, we can handle it with ease. I don't want to create an impression that we can't print for rather we don't want to.
    Busfact even at triple prices it is not worth it. Great margin but.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do they want to come back?

You can't raise the issue of why you're not that excited about doing business with them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Why do they want to come back?

You can't raise the issue of why you're not that excited about doing business with them?
    They want to come back as they are upset with the current printer, I know this printer well as they do a lot of full colour litho work for me with no problems, So I know it is unlikely that the problem is the printer. When they left they owed us R900 for a few letterhead templates we did for them, they just ignored this and left. The R900 was written off and it was considered cheap at the price.
    To deal with them is not pleasant you agree a price and a delivery time then after it is accepted then the problems start, artwork changes then they want the printing earlier, then complain about quality and so it goes. When they phoned the Lady started moaning about parking at our shop before she even got there.
    What I don't want to create is the impression we can't do the work as it is a sweet spot for us and our equipment, but not for them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    Triple your price and payment up front
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    When they left they owed us R900 for a few letterhead templates we did for them, they just ignored this and left. The R900 was written off
    I would have quoted triple the normal rate plus added the R900 that was unpaid plus full payment upfront as they're no longer credit worthy. I would also have stipulated that any acceptance or other paperwork must be signed before the CPA comes into effect so you can tell them to get knotted if they start messing you around without getting the new act thrown at you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps try something along the lines of "After our last experience, maybe it's better if we don't do business together."

I know where you're coming from, though. The trouble is a leopard doesn't easily change its spots. I got burnt twice last year taking back bad clients because they begged and made promises... In fact I'm trying to think of an occassion where it did work out with a bad client the second time around.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for thinking about us, but no thank you, I prefer not to do business with you.

Simple and direct.

They off course are going to bad mouth you to everyone they meet, irrespective of what you do. So let the people who hear them complain that you do not want their business, draw up their own conclusions. Believe me they will know why.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I would tell them that you have a company policy not to quote on work where you have existing bad debts.

Should they wish to pay the arrears due directly into your account, you'll gladly reconsider quoting on the work. I didn't say you WILL quote, just that you'll reconsider.

At least you may get your outstanding arrears.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    I haven't heard anything more from them so a polite decline may have worked.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.