Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flexible cables

Suspended
    Thanks

flexible cables

is it legal to install sabs approved flexible cables from a main DB to a sub DB.

in other words run a circuit directly from a new DB installed in a basement

via a 21 core sabs approved flexible cable

then disconnect the existing circuits in the sub DB on the first floor and join then directly to the 21 core flex cable straight to the dedicated socket outlets...which are wired in house wire.

how important are the numbers in the flexible cable?

this is not a trick question i am

Suspended
    Thanks
    please note pg 84 of sans 6.1.11 flexible cords shall not be used as part of the elctrical installtion, except where...

Thanks
    As far as I'm aware you're not permitted to use flexible cords (cabtyre) between a main and sub DB. It's not just 0142 regs that forbid this, also IEC 60335-1. If I remember correctly, ammendment 3 clarified.

Suspended
    Thanks
    this thread is gona get interesting...busy with the generator thread have been all afternoon so once i have sorted that out i will come back to this thread.

Thanks
    Far as I know all cabling used should be SABS but, that does not mean it can be used for any purpose. The permanent installation far as I know should be "hard" wire.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what is important is understanding what the difference is in the definitions

a cable...solid or stranded...with strands exceeding 0.51 mm

flexible cable...consists of strands of diameter not exceeding 0.51mm and which th nominal cross section area of each conductor exceeds 4 mm square

flexible cord...nominal cross sectional area of each conductor does not exceed 4 mm square and each conductor consists of strands of diameter less than 0.31mm

6.1.11 flexible cords shall not be used as part of the electrical installation except a-e in sans code

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    is it legal to install sabs approved flexible cables from a main DB to a sub DB.

in other words run a circuit directly from a new DB installed in a basement

via a 21 core sabs approved flexible cable

then disconnect the existing circuits in the sub DB on the first floor and join then directly to the 21 core flex cable straight to the dedicated socket outlets...which are wired in house wire.

how important are the numbers in the flexible cable?

this is not a trick question i am
    I wonder how relevant is this question when the new version of SANS 10142 gets introduced soon?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I am resurrecting this thread due to something I saw in SANS 10142-1-2021

6.1.11 Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the
    selection, installation and colour identification (see 6.3.3) shall be done in
    accordance with this part of SANS 10142. Flexible cords with cross sectional
    area less than 1 mm2
    shall not be permitted.
    6.1.12 Where flexible cords are used, the strands of the conductors shall be
    mechanically protected with ferrules to prevent the strands from being cut off
    in terminations.

Can I assume now that one can wire a house in cabtyre?

The reason I ask is because I have just come across a circuit that is a 2.5mm cabtyre from circuit breaker to aircon isolator
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    If the blue neutral has been changed to black with tape or heatshrink and bootlace ferrules used for terminations, then according to the present guidelines ( Edition 3.1 ) it is acceptable.

Edited 6/9/2023 for clarification.

In previous versions of SANS10142, 6.11 started with "flexible chords shall not be used as part of the electrical installation"

This has now been omitted in the latest version, hence my statement above that it is now acceptable.
    Last edited by Derlyn; 06-Sep-23 at 07:55 AM.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Leecatt (07-Sep-23)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    With that, 6mm PV cable rates at 70A (Alvern cables ) means we can wire a DB with 6MM instead of 16mm GP.

I phoned them and said it's good, asked an engineer in front of a crowd and said fine, stranded cable is good.

It goes against the grain for sure but perfectly good.

So much easier to make a DB look good and it's safe. DC current is an animal so for AC it will handle it properly

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.