thought i would start something here...the DB then move onto other things

5.1.1 it shall not be possible to touch any live part within arms reach with the standard test finger unless a cover is removed with the the use of a tool or key.

my question how are all the DBs supplied passing sabs standards if it is possible to remove the cover by merely turning a knob at the top of the panel?

then we go onto the favourite inspection report issue...THE LOCATION....mounted inside a cupboard...it states that a DB can be mounted in a cupboard provided it is not mounted higher than 2.2 m and you fit a label on the cupboard door...covered under section 6.6

someone asked the question about the clear space in front of a DB in another thread...i believe there should be clear access...in other words if the DB is mounted in the cupboard there should be no shelves restricting access...the structure of the cupboard should not restrict access to the DB in other words you should need to remove the cupboard to be able to take off the cover...what i have noticed is inspectors are turning a blind eye to this problem so when it comes to maintence or additions the poor sucker who has to work in the DB has to remove the entire cupboard or battle working around it

if you look at section 5.2.8 of the code you will notice this problem is covered and some DBs mounted in cupboards should be failed during the inspection report...if the DB is mounted in a cupboard and you can gain easy access then just a label is required...but if the DB is mounted in a cupboard and you cannot gain access to it without having to remove the cupboard or you have to work around the cupboard to gain access to components in the DB it should not be passed.

it once again goes back to the customer...who at the time of the cupboard installation should have contacted his/her local electrician to discuss how to fit the cupboard around the DB...ie 2 doors which can be unclipped and space around the DB for "easy" access