Thread: Playing games properly on ubuntu

Thanks

Playing games properly on ubuntu

Hi All,
    I'm currently facing a bit of an interesting situation. I like linux. I like what it is capable of, I like how it updates, I like how it doesn't hog system resources. Here's my problem:
    I'm a gamer. I go out and buy games. I pick up games that work on "PC" and these install just great under windows. The game developers I like are not going to make their games free, and considering the quality work they put out, I'm not surprised.
    I've looked at Wine, but it hardly seems like a solution. So far, this has been the biggest deal-breaker for me, and the main reason why I haven't attempted to swap over to Linux.
    Does anyone know whether there is some way to convert windows games so that they run natively on Linux, or if there will ever be native equivalents available? If there's a reason why market-share is down, this may be part of it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Google Linux Journal. Wine Is actually extremely powerful and still open-source but it is no longer just a simulator. That said you can probably try “pay-for” solutions like Cediga you pay subscription and you get online support but they will leave you hanging when the money runs out. The second option is called “crossover games” designed by codeweavers it is also a “pay-for” solution and like Cediga they will take out some of the pain but not all of it. I saw a few others listed so it comes down to what you are willing to pay and if they will work or not is basically a bit of a gamble. I personally just duel-boot HDD is no longer expensive and the setup is painless.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    For some reason my Firefox refreshed and I ended up with a double post sorry about that...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I've read up on all three. Cedega was based on Wine, but moved more in the direction of directX. It doesn't allow for the .net framework though. While open source doesn't necessarily mean free, free open source wins over paid in my books. They would have to offer a 100% working guaranteed solution for me to fork out the $5 a month they're asking for. That $5 is also going straight to securom as well, an ideal that I despise. I've decided to keep a virtual box going at the moment. If it truly starts knocking my socks off, then I'll move over from windows. I like how customisable it is, and how I can get it practically tailor-made to suit me. But lack of support for the games is a bit of a buzz kill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    For some reason my Firefox refreshed and I ended up with a double post sorry about that...
    A known AJAX issue courtesy of our world class internet in SA. The confirmation that your post has been uploaded to the server doesn't make the trip back, the AJAX script on your browser times out and kicks to a standard send post. Hey presto, you're seeing double.

I normally just delete the duplicate, but since you asked, may as well give everyone a heads up on why it happens occasionally.

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (09-Mar-11)

Thanks
    trying to get the whole gaming thing working properly has left me with a few interesting thoughts.
    As many of you will know, the linux community hates things that are closed source. Most mainstream games are closed source. So this must mean that they either go for open source games or swallow their pride and get a mainstream closed source game. This seems to be a bit of an irony when I read forums on how "windows sucks" and "windows can't do jack" and then they'll say how they wish linux had more choice in gaming so that they didn't have to swap to windows to play their games... So not only do they have windows installed, they pretty much openly admit to windows not sucking at something.

And those that manage to do everything in linux, using playonlinux, or cedega, or whatever other open source option there is... they're still using an open-source program to run a closed source game that they had to pay for. I thought that was a bit of irony.

Either way, I'm sticking to Windows.I've looked at the options and Linux doesn't meet my requirements (heavily game related)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.