Thread: A hobby can make you better at your job

Thanks

A hobby can make you better at your job

Often the most productive thing you can do when you leave the office is to immediately get work off your mind. A hobby can do that in a second. It offers instant stress relief according to a convincing body of evidence that also points out that a hobby can make you better at your job.

What hobby is best for you? It should be obvious. Humans have an innate need to create. Whether you are motivated by a cathartic experience or the simple pleasures of fresh air and sunshine, choose a vehicle for your unique expression. You may have an innate talent waiting to be discovered. These popular hobbies provide artistic expression and enjoyment for others. Playing a musical instrument, Gardening, Photography, Drawing, painting, sculpting, Writing...

Give yourself free rein to explore non-artistic interests. Hobbies aren't just for the cerebral or the creative, according to Benefits of Having a Hobby on the Squidoo blog. “Do you enjoy action, adventure? Want to get the blood pumping and the adrenaline flowing? Extreme sports would probably suit you.

Hobbies aren't necessarily solitary pursuits. Dancing is one example of a shared pastime. In a world where it seems like everything and everyone demands so much of your time, it can feel like you have not time for each other. Dancing is an ideal way to stay connected to your other half.

Friendships from hobby clubs can also be great. Meetups are held in 45,000 cities, and organized by 7.2 million members who share an interest in 46,000 topics. Meetup members have found that pursuing their chosen pastimes has improved their social lives. Getting to meet people who share your passion is one of the main benefits of hobbies.

What do you think? What makes you get work off your mind when you live the office?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirelle View Post
    What makes you get work off your mind when you live (leave) the office?
    At the moment, watching the last hour or so of the Cricket World Cup matches is doing a pretty good job

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Friendships from hobby clubs can also be great.
    I've been involved in model controlled cars, aircraft & helicopters. I'm still involved with model railways and all sorts of other creative pursuits. I have never come across a a hobby club that isn't fraught with politics, back biting and bull. The junior members at the radio control clubs could never get time to fly because the "experts" would overrun the entire place. The cowboys would fly so dangerously that everybody cringed in fear. The model railway clubs are divided into various factions who hate each others guts. Each faction has an "expert" who knows better than all the other experts. The experts are known as "mier naaiers (ant fu_kers) or rivet counters" the reason is because they are so terribly pedantic about the accuracy of the model that it becomes painful to deal with - they can't fathom the idea that scale model = compromise. Then of course there are the trainspotters - these guys run around taking photographs of anything that runs on rails and then proudly displays their photographs on the internet. The problem is that they consider the photographs to be holy and God forbid that anybody uses those photographs for reference purposes. Model ship clubs - I was told by one modeller that another modellers ship is crap because some parts were laser cut and not made by hand. The worst clubs are those directly associated with shops. God forbid you are a member of the club and you purchase a part from a different shop...

The only thing that I have to say about hobby clubs is this: Stuff that!

Thanks
    Hi Mirelle

Thanks for the post. I have always loved cooking and still think that in my next life I will be a chef : ). I bought myself recipe books and almost everyday, I cook up a new meal that I have never tried out. This is very relaxing for me and I get a sense of satisfaction at the end of each well prepared (and sometimes not so well prepared) meal. Fact is, it helps to partake in something you love, just to take one's mind off work and all the stresses associated with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Each faction has an "expert" who knows better than all the other experts.
    The only thing that I have to say about hobby clubs is this: Stuff that!
    Adrian...........not only the hobby clubs, ALL clubs for that matter. It is always the politics that kills the fun and always somebody that "knows" better than the next guy.
    I second your thought.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I agree with both Martinco & Adrianh,... all the car & dog clubs I have belonged to became totally out of control with politics and back stabbing.

Chris,.. I am currently watching the Hell's Kitchen tv series with Gordon Ramsay - definitely worth a watch if you are interested in becoming a chef
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.