Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry vs Windows Mobile

Thanks
    You don't really need the Google Calendar addon - though it makes it slightly easier than using the normal WebDav / iCal which comes standard with TB, though not as much as you'd notice. Basically iCal / Google Calendar Addon creates a live copy of your Google calendar inside TB.

In order to get hold of the codes it needs, open your Google calendar in a web browser. At the top-right, click on Settings and then Calendar Settings. You should now see the Calendar Settings page (open on the General tab). Click on the Calendars tab - you should now have a list of all your Google Calendars (including any subscribed calendars such as SA Holidays). Click on any one of them to see their info - at the very bottom would be a Private Address. Copy the link under the iCal button. Those in the normal Calendar Address is so you can share your calendar as read-only to others.

Start a new calendar in TB (File --> New --> Calendar), choose "On the Network" & click Next. Choose either iCal (the default) or Google Calendar (if you've got the addon). Paste the link you've copied into the Location field. Click next, give it a descriptive name, and choose its background colour (to distinguish it from any other calendars). From now on you have a on-line & off-line version of your Google Calendar(s). Which will also sync with your Android phone. You can drag the calendars in order in TB's sidebar - the top one would become your default, but any time you create an event you can still save it to a different calendar, or even modify it and save to another.

If you want your own calendar (i.e. not through Google) you need to right-click & export any of TB's calendars as an iCal file. Plug in your phone's USB/Bluethooth/Wireless, copy the iCal to it, unplug it and then use any of the free iCal tools on the market - something like this: https://market.android.com/details?id=at.aichbauer.ical

With some of those you can have it "backup" the iCal (and even VCF for contacts) files periodically to the phone's memory card. Then every time you plug it into the PC it will be available for import to TB (or whatever else you're using). You can even have TB link to this through "Publishing" a calendar to such iCal file - that way every time your phone's connected you can edit it in TB. Then import it into your phone.

If you have an Exchange server, you should be able to setup TB to link to its calendar (or perhaps use some other addon like Zindus). Your Android should already have the capability to link directly to it through the Corporate account type (instead of the google type).

Thus far for me the easiest is to use the Google Calendar - no need for any import / export at all. It's live in all of TB, Google Web & Android - all at once. There probably is a quick-n-easy way to sync between the PC & Phone without needing to be online - I haven't tried all of the 1000's of apps on the market yet, so I can't say for sure. Anyone know of a good one, please chip-in!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the info, i am basically sold on getting an Android phone now. Thanks for the advise it seems like a good alternative to using an exchange server type setup and 1 of the easiest ways to keep most of everything in sync.

The last thing i wanted to ask you is, have you used the send from (where you change the email address that you sending your email from) feature and does it work?

Thanks for all the advise, been very helpful.

Thanks
    Do you mean in TB? I haven't come across this in Android as it sees each email address as a separate email system.

In TB there's a drop-down at the top of the "Write a new message" window with the word From: before it. It lists all the accounts you've setup and then uses that account to send. If you also have the Signature switch addon installed you can even have your signature adjusted according to which email address you're sending from. BTW depending on which folder you were viewing when you clicked the "Create a new message" button you would automatically send from that account. But if you forward / reply it will use the origin account irrespective if you've moved the message to another account's folder. You can still use the drop-down to change though. If you simply want a "false" From field you'll need to setup a dummy account and set its Outgoing Server to use one of the others.

And yes, I've used it several times: receiving an email on my gmail account and replying to it through my corporate account. I'm unsure how to do this on Android though ... will have to look at some forums. BTW you can get other email clients on Android as well:

I haven't tried one of these though. But this discussion's actually made me realize the default mail app isn't all that great at all. It hasn't been a problem in the past, but now I'm going to try that MailDroid app, or maybe the K9?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Apparently with the latest version of Gmail client (ver 2.3.2 or something like that) on Android version 2.2 and higher you can handle multiple email accounts and send from addresses etc... as you can in your actual gmail web client.

I am hoping this works well as this will be a very important feature for me.

Left me know how the others go.

Thanks
    Thanks! I've still got Android 2.1 on my phone. Waiting for the update from Motorola, I don't particularly want to go and root my phone in order to install a non-branded Android 2.2. But I'll let you know if the other clients are any better.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    When you download emails to your phone do you download the entire message or do you have a setting to get only the headers or first 20KB kinda thing like in WinMo ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi irneb,

Quick Q, how much of data do you use on your Android phone & what sort of data bundle do you have ?

Also what sort of 3G services you use e.g. email, social networking, etc...

Thanks,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    When you download emails to your phone do you download the entire message or do you have a setting to get only the headers or first 20KB kinda thing like in WinMo ?
    Sorry, for some reason my (office) internet seemed dead last week, and I was too busy to be bothered . Anyhow, It appears that the default method for the Android mail client is to only download the headers of each message. Only when you open the message does it download the body. And that works in IMAP as well as POP3. I'm unsure how to change this so it downloads the entire message at the start - but I think for a phone this is the "best" method, since you'll only rarely do all of your email on the phone.

Hi irneb,

Quick Q, how much of data do you use on your Android phone & what sort of data bundle do you have ?

Also what sort of 3G services you use e.g. email, social networking, etc...

Thanks,
    Generally: emails, some web browsing (forums mostly), GPS (I prefer Waze instead of Google Maps), a bit of Facebook (but I'm not hooked - maybe once a week). I refuse to sign a contract with any of the Cell-monopolies, I'm on a prepaid Vodacom at present. Don't phone out that much (perhaps 2 or 3 calls a week). Do much more SMS & Email.

I buy myself a MyMeg 600 bundle every 2 months or so - so it seems about 300MB per month works for me (but it varies a lot from say 50MB to 3GB). But that includes me plugging the phone into my laptop for use as a modem - in which case there's quite a lot of extra stuff I do: Much more emails, a lot more web based research, using SVN for an open source project of mine, and many more forum posts than I do through the phone. I don't have much of a hankering for downloading video and music, if you do (e.g. YouTube, Streaming, etc.) you're probably going to need a much larger capping per month. Even if you are on contract you should be able to adjust the data bundle as you see you either run out or don't use it fully (i.e. at worst you waste one month's capping).

But that's another reason I like the prepaid option: If I'm on holiday and don't use it at all, I simply don't buy any (e.g. I bought one in November last year and then one in Jan. Had a lot of stuff to do through Feb so I bought another when it ran down to 20MB left. Still on that lot - would probably need another in a week or so). And with Vodahell the prepaid / contract data bundles are as close as dammit (a cent here or there) to each other in price, so it doesn't matter whatever the sales-quack in the shop tries to spin!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info, helps alot.

I have a cellc data package for my pc.

I will use my phone mostly for quick email replies & quick browsing.

Nothing heavy, i dont do big downloads & streaming.

I was just abit worried as some people say they use over a gig on there android phones !!!

Thanks

Thanks
    I was just abit worried as some people say they use over a gig on there android phones !!!
    That means they watch lots of streaming video / download music / etc.

If not then, only if your emails contain lots of attachments would you start looking at GBs. It depends on your usage, the phone / OS itself doesn't use much on its own (mainly checking for updates and sync-ing contacts / calendar / etc. - which uses very little bandwidth).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.