Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to recycle Energy saving light globes?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    How would you propose to educate customers to buy longer lasting products if they cost double the price?
    How much extra would it cost to make a CFL that lasted twice as long as the current "standard"?

And as for buying at double the price, I do it all the time when it's worth it - and I wouldn't be surprised if you do too. Take anyone that buys a Hilti power tool as example - quite often you can buy a cheap "equivalent" at less than half the cost, but is it a real saving when the cheapie breaks within months and the Hilti goes on for years?

So yes, I think consumers can be educated. It just takes some exposure of the issue.

In fact - come to think of it - let's talk shoes! I've seen people who don't earn big money buying real quality stuff because they know it lasts.

The starting point is trying to get the issue front-of-mind.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The example with shoes is good, if I buy a cheap pair, which I can get for R60, my feet sweat, and I throw them away after I have used them for about 8 to 10 times (approximately 10 hours a time), because they begin to smell. Now if I buy a good quality pair for around R450.00, they last more than a year, or and also my feet are comfy, do not smell and saves me a trip to the shoe store every month
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    I think the shoes point goes more to fashion and buying into a brand, quality might be a spin-off of this but I would question that quality was the clincher on which shoes were bought and especially so with takkies.

I agree there are consumers who have learned the hard way and yes I spend a fortune on my tools to get quality. With many items there isn't much option though especially at the domestic consumer end of the market. Take household appliances, name me a brand of steam iron or pop-up toaster that consistently lasts more than a year with normal use. Another example is the far East mopeds and scooters that were all the rage recently. Buy a VUKA or Moto Mia and the corrosion starts in earnest the moment it leaves the showroom. Yeah, you can buy a 100cc scooter for under R10,000.00 but show me one with 30 thousand clicks on the clock that still runs reliably. Even show me one that went through the warranty period without problems and I'll be surprised.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Who bares the cost of the warranty?

The manufacturer is far away, and to get something out of them is like pulling hens teeth. So in the end the consumer lands up footing the bill, because the local supplier goes bust due to loses in keeping up with the warranties. A no win situation. But consumers do not learn, they will again buy cheapie stuff.

I must be honest, there are occasions I buy the cheapie stuff, and simply put is that I only may use it once in it's life and it solves my problem then it has done it's job.

Now if I am looking for a tool for my profession, I look for quality and after sales service before I buy any specific brand.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    What i think is... that the energy savers are not have a long life, i think the LED lights will take over the world and they not dangerous for us all... or?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    i think the LED lights will take over the world
    Good point!
    Great solution!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    i think the LED lights will take over the world
    Maybe in the future, but they still have a very long way to go. There are a number of problems :-

LED Light is very very directional in the small wattage size and what makes them bright is the lens in front.
    LEDs are sized according to the heat they produce.
    Dissipating heat, and I am not talking of the 1 and 3W types here, there light is very restricted.
    If you need to light up a large area well, such as security, you need high wattage LEDs, which brings in heat.
    LEDs can not work more than 60 Degrees Centigrade or their lifespan is reduced drastically.

Thanks
    Led technology still has some way to go yet before it becomes standard use lighting. As stated, the light output is poor, the colour rendering isn't great, the light output also deteriorates noticeably over time and the price is high. There is already reliability problems with some of the far East brands with poorly designed built-in driver circuits and inadequate internal heat sinking and dissipation. Whether this is built-in obsolescence or just cheap nasty manufacturing I'm not sure. As it stands now I couldn't expect most people to be interested in buying into this technology.

Thanks
    Dave! perhaps you should combine part of this thread with your question of paying more for better service?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Dave! perhaps you should combine part of this thread with your question of paying more for better service?
    The premium for better service thread certainly shares some common ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast