Thread: Music while you work

Thanks

Music while you work

Do you use music to put yourself in a productive mood? It is widely accepted that music increases productivity. Executives and creative professionals who listen to music say it reduces stress and maximizes their energy and focus. Music also changes your mood. You can use music to keep up your morale and productivity in difficult circumstances. It痴 not easy to maintain a positive outlook at work these days with heavy workloads and widespread layoffs. Stay upbeat despite the stress and breeze through the workday. Music not only lifts you out of negativity, it creates a bubble of sanity in which you can perform at your peak.

I like to pair music to my energy level and the task at hand. In the morning, I知 reviewing my projects and deciding what I want to accomplish. I like a quiet environment and keep the music sweet and slow. I listen to instrumental arrangements with bells that send part of my mind to the backstreets of Kyoto. The music clears my mind of distractions before I settle into working on a project.

When I知 at my computer, I hardly notice the music, but I'm receptive to the mood it conveys. When I知 jamming under a deadline, I like traditional Celtic music with lots of fiddles. I instantly feel happy and unstoppable, like I've had a double shot of espresso. Sometimes I知 in the mood for Briand Adams, which is my favorite singer.

In the afternoon -when I知 planning, scheduling and processing email- I switch to Rimsky-Korsakov, Philip Glass or music embellished with arias like Beethovens's Moonlight Sonata.

What about you, what kind of music do you listen while you are working?

Email problem
    Thanks
    There's nothing like struggling with a PC at 2 in the morning that needs to be done at 8am & lighting a cigarette saying to yourself, "WTF won't this b*tch app work?"

Thanks
    Personally, if I am going to program ( write source code ), I put on headphones and play 'Conquest of Paradise' from '1492' by Vangelis. Same track, over, and over and over and over. LOUD.

Probably comes from the days we lived in an open plan townhouse and the noisy washing machine area was right next to my 'office' in the dining room 'area'. Playing music was great for drowning out all the background noise and replacing it with 1 noise which I happened to like.

So what other music is the choice for different activities .... ?

I would choose Leonard Cohen for any morbid wrist-slashing activities.

Definitely Louis Armstrong, and the old classics ( yes, including Roger Whitaker and Frank Sinatra ) for relaxing.

For driving is Aerosmith, Guns & Roses ( both for the stunning lead vocals ), Chris dB's Lady in Red ( our wedding song 20 years ago ) and George Michael and Elton Johns' duet of 'don't let the sun go down on me'.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Depends on what I'm doing - Love many many different artists. I cannot stand Leonard Cohen - it's just too depressing (the wife loves him, the wife also loves Robbie Williams - hate him too)

Mike Oldfield, Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd, (Anything played on an Eigen Harp) for complexity, Nickelback, Shaggy, Crash Test Dummies for up yours in your face fun, Toby Keith, Jack Johnson, Johnny Cash, Carrie Underwood, LeAnn Rimes for A1 country/folk, Terra Naomi, Freddie Mercury, Amy Winehouse, Chris De Burgh, Chris Isaak, Annie lennox, David Bowie, Nianell.... for voice, Moody Blues, Depeche Mode, Boo, Morcheeba... for style... ok I'll shut up now...

its amazing how my mind settles through music. Music is food for the soul....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_ZA View Post
    There's nothing like struggling with a PC at 2 in the morning that needs to be done at 8am & lighting a cigarette saying to yourself, "WTF won't this b*tch app work?"
    I also use to be in IT. Yes the deadlines are normally interlocked with getting fired. It is the life of a technician. But lately I couldn’t care less for my customers because they don’t want to listen to good advice in the week and the drinking on weekends “then I remember the “oh we don’t have the money right now BS” while I watch them slinging to their cars.

If a problem persist always have a test rig handy to test everything so that you can hand your paying customers something that is working until there units are operational. Even servers are affordable to the point where you can have some kind of backup ready.

As for my music to help me work, It always starts off with a generous helping of Iron Maiden followed by Amon Amarth just to get all the frustration moving. Then I will switch over to some Epica to iron out the rest of all the anger. From there I would play some Within Temptation to get the mind and Zen focused for the rest of the day. From that I will listen to Tarja Turunen and just let her voice guide my spirit until my work is done.

This is what you will find on me IPod: Sirenia, Apocalyptica, Def Leppard, Nirvana, 30 Seconds to Mars, Dark Tranquillity, After Forever, Evanescence, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Cat Stevens, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, System of a Down, Korn, Papa Roach, The Offspring, Killswitch Engage, Green Day, Madam Butterfly, Deep Purple, Luciano Pavarotti, Celtic Woman, Johnny Cash, Seether, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Nana Mouskouri, Tarja Turunen, Static X, Serj Tankian, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Guano Apes, Greenday, Epica, Creed, Blue Oyster Cult, Amon Amarth, AC/DC , Within Temptation, Iron Maiden and Nightwish
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Email problem
    Thanks
    People always used to think that hackers played Prodigy whilst hacking. lol

As for me personally, I don't listen to music. It distracts me. I'm more the type that when I work, I work to get done, THEN I can fire up the MMO's & relax.

Email problem
    Thanks
    You know while you work in an office, there are certain rules that you can't just listen to music while working on serious projects.
    I do like listening to music while having a rest or in a quiet place. I love peaceful music while alone. When I'm in a crowd of people, loud music and rock music are better.

Thanks
    Effects of music on work performance, in this case, software design, may be explained by increases in state positive affect. Many people thinks music distracts, but I think If you work organized this never happens. Try to think positive while you listen music at work and to organize your daily tasks!!! I wish a sunny day!!!

Thanks
    #8 Mirelle
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries

Thanked 0 Times in 0 PostsI like to pair music to my energy level and the task at hand. In the morning, I’m reviewing my projects and deciding what I want to accomplish. I like a quiet environment and keep the music sweet and slow. I listen to instrumental arrangements with bells that send part of my mind to the backstreets of Kyoto. The music clears my mind of distractions before I settle into working on a project.

Have you created a soundtrack for your workspace? What tunes do you have on your productivity playlist?