Thread: Looking for a facebook / twitter desktop-like APP for general use

Thanks

Looking for a facebook / twitter desktop-like APP for general use

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to communicate with end users via a desktop app that works similar to Facebook / Twitter desktop / iPhone / SmartPhone apps, and hope someone can help me with this?

Basically I need to convey information (newsletters, news flashes / download links / etc to users, but via a desktop application.

think of "Google Notifyer" or Mixero, or even how online game manufacturers communicate with game player via a UI / game interface.

BUT, and here's the but, I need something that I can customize a bit to work with our specific setup. The basic idea is to have an admin backup, which can run on PHP + MySQL (we can code this ourself) and then app can get whatever content is in the Database on the client's desktop.

Can anyone point me into any direction for something like this?

Ideally it should work on Windows, Linux & MAC - so I'm thinking something written in C++ / C# / GTK+ / etc with different OS installers would be ideal.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Hi Rudy,

I have forwarded your request to somebody that may be able to help...............just let's wait a while. He is presently en-route to his home. ( 2-3 days )
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanx Matin,

Who is it, and what does he / do they offer / do?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    My son who has been in IT development for the US State government for 15 years now. Has lots of experience in programing and I have already contacted him with your request.
    Spoke to him last night and he should have some answers by Friday.
    You can contact him direct on straptiteusa@gmail.com and he is Gene.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    What is your cost for hosting a site for me ? I am duplicating my .com site to a .co.za site and need hosting.
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    What about Diaspora? You can either use their server - as a literal alternative to FaceBook, or setup a linux server with their back-end to create your own server: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora...nning-Diaspora

Then your peer-network runs in any web browser. If you need a client with some other fixes, it's not impossible to incorporate a browser into an app. Many of the IDE's have a simple component to just drop into your app - then with some programming you can have it open directly on the correct page / login / etc.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    you could use RSS feeds. There are plenty of free applications and widgets that can be used to run them. That way you can give the base information and provide them with a link to the full article/link/image/whatever. It's low on bandwidth, and people who are interested will click through. my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    you could use RSS feeds. There are plenty of free applications and widgets that can be used to run them. That way you can give the base information and provide them with a link to the full article/link/image/whatever. It's low on bandwidth, and people who are interested will click through. my 2 cents.
    Very good idea! The RSS thing can even be just a ticker-tape at the bottom of the screen (I've seen that as well). Or it could be an addon to Outlook / Thunderbird / Firefox.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    my personal favourite is the rss feeds prog that runs on my G15... but I have a feeling not everyone will be willing to shell out for the keyboard =P

Thanks
    I am using Dolphin 7 from boonex, its doing everything i want so far, it a social networking platform you can use with android and iphone apps as well, and there is a lot of modules you can add to it as well.

Hope this helps