Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marketing - my arch nemesis!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KimH View Post
    Eish!!!
    I decided to take out a paid ad on a popular advertising site, EVERY single response I received was other people trying to sell me their services and/or products!!
    Unsolicited marketing irritates me beyond words.
    Yes I get this kak too, goes with the territory, I just tell them to sod off.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Well, on a good note, I got a new client a few days ago. :-)

What did it take? I walked in, dropped off a business card, and left. That's it! Boss wasn't even there. They called me a day later, to fix some e-mail problem. After that they were very pleased with my work, and after a month of doing this and that for them ( paid invoices ), they decided to sign an SLA. And I now also do their e-mail & domain hosting!

All this from a single walk in with a single business card. 5 pc +1 server company.

It is possible. Hang in there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Eish!!!
    I decided to take out a paid ad on a popular advertising site, EVERY single response I received was other people trying to sell me their services and/or products!!
    Unsolicited marketing irritates me beyond words.
    Eish. If you are going to spend money on paid advertising, I wouldn't go with advertising sites, per say.

I would have a website set up and pay for a Google Adwords campaign to attract potential customers. That, or set up a Facebook page, invite all your friends and then run a paid Facebook advertising campaign. (I've received good results here.)

The ultimate would be to do both simultaneously. In my opinion, having a web presence nowadays is essential.

Good luck.

4. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (06-Mar-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hello there,

I can so relate to what you have said. I have an idea or two for you. You are welcome to contact me on info@scarabmarketingandconsulting.com

Regards

Cara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Cara,

I guess you won't be dealing with social media marketing in that one-on-one chat you want then

Thanks
    the latter part of my career has been spent fixing small companies in trouble - I have decided that I can add much more value to small business owners that don't neccessarily have the knowledge or skill. Added to that the majority of small business owners can't afford the overinflated fees that bmc's generally charge - my fees would be calculated in accordance with the needs and affordability of each individual client.
    You've come to the right place, become our guru and work will flow!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

8. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (25-May-11)

Email problem
    Thanks

MARKETING

Hello there to everyone,

I have read the entire threat and it just ego's that which I have found over so many years in marketing.
    Many people are very good at what they do, but the moment it comes to marketing then the wheels are off the wagon, so to speak. lol lol

The irony is that the business owners, or like some of my fellow TFSA's, prospective business owners, are looking for those clients but even thou we are in the information age, for some or other reason the information does not get to the people that need it.

Marketing is a very expensive exercise. Most mediums that one can use, does not give a quantifiable result. I have seen to many small new businesses go down, because they could not get hold of clients.

I have been in sales and marketing for the past 21 years and have decided that something has to be done about the situation. I believe that the more small businesses we can have that is successful in South Africa the better our economy will do and the best part of all is that the consumers will actually get that service and support that we all were once used to.

Like so many of the TFSA members have mentioned, budget, where marketing is concerned, is always a problem. However, it shouldn't be if you have a measurable result.

Let me ask you the following question: Will it make a difference to your business if the marketing you do can actually generate you an additional income instead of costing you?

Well, that is my penny's worth for the day. I feel privileged to finally find myself amongst like minded people.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (26-May-11)

Thanks
    Just a quick one. Avoid paying for advertising for now. You will certainly dump money in the water if you lack the marketing skills to do it right.

Can I through a few FREE marketing ideas your way?

As an accountant it is important to get people to trust and respect you before you will get some referrals. So here are a few ideas I would like to mention thinking about current issues.

• Have you thought of approaching a newspaper or two in your area with a good written article. I for one would like to know more about the new PIS. How does it work and how does it effect my business.
    • Have you thought about presenting a seminar to business owners in your area about the new Companies Act and how it would effect their businesses if they are CC's for example.
    • Have you thought of releasing a press release regarding concerns about the implementation of the new companies act?

These are a few suggestions to get the creative juices flowing.

Now I want to ask.

Do you have a website yet? (Very important! Especially if you are looking for local business)

Where would you say is your target market located?

In your suburb or city?
    In your Province?
    Country wide?

What have you done do let people in that target area know of your existence and that you are knowledgeable, professional and worth their trouble to contact you?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

12. Thanks given for this post:

KimH (25-May-11)

Thanks
    What I have done this far is network with other small business owners that I know in my area - we have an unofficial network system in place now (no fees - just cross referrals), my reasoning there is that essentially us little guys have to stick together and promote each other's businesses, the majority of us have done our time in the corporate world and are more than happy to leave that world to those that want the stress, politic'ing and other bullcrap that goes with 'climbing the corporate ladder'.
    In addition to that I run a small weekly free ad - which has netted me an accounting client in the form of a wine farm in Paarl (absolutely enjoying the experience).
    I am also cheeky and squizz Gumtree for companies looking for half day bookkeepers - this has netted me 2 clients so far.

I am in the process of building my own website - design is done, just working (deleting, typing, deleting, typing...) on the content in my spare time. We have an IT sales division as well (building up for hubby and youngest son) - so I'm setting up Open Cart online store as well.

I have also set up an iblog and send out a monthly newsletter to everyone I know

The accounting firm I worked for some years ago is also pushing overflow work my way - so from an accounting perspective I am at half capacity now. I will continue on this course until such time that the IT sales is online and then address how many more clients I can take on without sacrificing my service levels. I would prefer to keep my base manageable, I have no intention of hiring additional staff this year.

Thanks for the free advice Chatmaster,... it's always welcome
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_ZA View Post
    Flyers ( ... Handing them out at intersections just looks tacky )
    This idea will work and not look tacky if you get a few young girls from a model agency to do it. It should preferably be in the summer though, because then they don't have to wear a lot of clothes to keep warm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast