Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all cold calling guru's !

Thanks
    Don't forget to ellaborate on all your sevices. Itemise/ list ALL the services you offer.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Sparks, thank you for the reply, but I need solutions to the scenario's I've listed.

Thanks
    Andrew_ZA why don't you offer the first half hour free if you can do it by remote. Then you can get into their computers without travelling and be more productive. If the problem is going take longer than 30 minutes tell them that upfront. Just remember people hate surprises and make that a selling point.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

4. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (15-Mar-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Good idea. I'll market a "Get your first 30 minutes free".

It's just getting them to AGREE to that foot in the door first labour session.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing works all the time, but in my experience you need to keep asking questions. You are trying to get a dialogue going and find out useful information about them.

Examples (and I'm sure these can be improved on):
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_ZA View Post
    "Thank you, but our IT department in Durban / JHB handles our IT needs"
    Are you happy with that arrangement?

"The manager isn't here, but I'll take your card. (PA ). You can talk to me for all IT needs".
    So what IT challenges are you likely to face this year?

"Thank you but we already have an IT guy" ( Very popular response )
    May I ask who you're using and why?

Seeing as this is very popular, let me expand. No matter who they say they are using, don't be negative about them. Focus on what you offer. The advantage of knowing who you're competing with is you should know your strategic area of competitive advantage. Things like response time, personal service, latest knowledge, supply chain, product quality, warranty... Just don't resort to competing on price (long story).

" Yes yes thank you". ( When you give your business card to the VERY busy Manager who's on his way out )
    Phone the next day after checking with PA/other staffer when is the best time to call. Start with "is this a good time to call?"

"Sorry, we have no business cards or company letterheads to give you"
    Ask them to write down their details on the back of your business card.

"Our IT guy is useless, but you must speak to Mr. Joe Soap, his the manager, but he is not here now & I don't know when he'll be back"
    Try not to drool as you get Joe's contact details to phone later. EDIT: And when you do call, don't mention that you've heard they're unhappy with their current supplier. This one you don't have to sell - let the client sell him/herself. It's way more powerful.

"No no it's fine. We don't need anyone thank you" ( Very rushed tone )
    You have your own in-house IT expert?
    Last edited by Dave A; 02-Apr-11 at 07:44 AM.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (15-Mar-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Smile

Very good advice from everyone, however in my experience cold calling is a waste of time. It is an outdated form of marketing and reminds of the old days of encyclopaedia or insurance salesmen. Research has shown that strike rates are very low (less than 10% and in most cases less than 7%). So you have to call on 100 businesses to get 7 clients? Why waste your time calling on someone who has to pass the message on to the manager?
    Have you defined your target market? Or do you have a shotgun approach where you also pick up unprofitable clients that take up 80% of the time you could have spent generating revenue? Do you have a website advertising your services? Do you get word-of-mouth advertising? Do people talk about you and the services you provide, or are you a "me too" business. What differentiates you from your competitors? What do they do to be successful?
    Prospecting differs from cold calling in that it is a planned action where you do your homework first. Who are the decision makers and how do you get to meet them? What is the message you want to project? Business does not happen by chance. Business is hard work, requiring a lot of planning and intelligence (knowledge about customers and competitors). Join your local chamber of commerce or business forum to get exposure and to get to know business owners.
    Having said that, it takes a special person to make the 1st approach and overcome the fear of rejection.
    Good luck with your marketing efforts.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (02-Apr-11)

Gold Member
    Thanks

This means that the correct person to speak to is indeed in Durban or JHB and are most likely looking for a reliable contractor in the other city! Ask for their details and call them.

"The manager isn't here, but I'll take your card. (PA ). You can talk to me for all IT needs".
    Speak to the PA - they are highly influential when it comes to the ordering of office needs and supplies and for small IT needs, you may just get the next call. At that point you upsell to bigger stuff, as the relationship is now building.

You are doing well on your existing response and I would also ask how you can then get to be the back up supplier, should that preferred supplier not be able to assist.

" Yes yes thank you". ( When you give your business card to the VERY busy Manager who's on his way out )
    Don't give her/him your card - simply ask if they have a PA/receptionist with whom you can make an appointment - otherwise come back.

Smack them hard - okay just kidding, but ask for the web address and ask who the decision maker is. This way you can track other telephone numbers, email addresses and finally hopefully someone with enthusiasm - always carry a tiny spiral notebook in your top pocket!

"We are very happy with our current IT guy"
    keeping it light at this point "oh well "I" am obviously sorry to hear that, is there anything I can do to be a second choice on your supplier list?"

"Our IT guy is useless, but you must speak to Mr. Joe Soap, his the manager, but he is not here now & I don't know when he'll be back"
    Great thank you , what is his number? what are his normal office hours? does he know that your current supplier is not matching up to your required standards? can you give me an example of what your existing guy does incorrectly as I would hate to promise something that is not actually possible? Engage, engage, engage.

Okay - I can see that you are rushed and this is not a good time - shall I phone and make an appointment for tomorrow? next wee?

Hope these help
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

11. Thank given for this post:

BusFact (28-Mar-11), Dave A (02-Apr-11), Perform Computers (27-Mar-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Debbie, awesome, awesome reply.

Thank you !

Thanks
    My advice? Not being IT minded and being more consumer focused I would say:

That's great, could I perhaps have their contact details and I will discuss our specials and services with them

Fantastic {NAME}. Pleasure to meet you. Could we set up a time to discuss your needs or gaps you may have in your current needs

That's great, could I perhaps have their contact details and I will discuss our specials and services with them

Make sure you get his name and follow up with a call or email.

Most companies have a website from which you can get their basic details (and in some cases an organogram).

I'm sure the IT guy is not useless, he may just need some advice with filling the gaps and more information on latest updates etc. Perhaps you could give me their contact details and I could set up a meeting with them AND Mr. Joe Soap to ascertain where assistance could be given. (This way you are not pouncing on someone else's downfalls but offering to help build them up)

No problem. May I leave a brochure/send an email anyway and at least you have it on file should the need arise?

Being a bulldog salesperson, in my opinion, may not always work although in some cases it does. Try a softer approach and allow your prospective client to see that you are willing to work WITH them and not bombard your way through their company just to make money or prove your worth.

14. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (24-Oct-11)

Thanks
    I think the trick to this whole thing is more about being able to think on your feet and come up with these kind of replies when you're face to face and under pressure. I imagine that would only come with practice and experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast