Thread: Piracy solution

Thanks

Piracy solution

Hi all, i have this business idea (piracy solution) that can help musicians, film companies in s.a make money. I want to start a business that will provide data protection . I have a plan that shows exactly how am i going to do that. I just moved here in johannesburg last month to seek government grant through various organisations. But i have'nt tried any yet, so iam looking for someone who i can trust with my plans and ideas to meet in person for some advice. thnx

Thanks
    The best anti-piracy would be for the media distributors to adapt their business models and bring them kicking and screaming into line with twenty-first century technology. That doesn't appear to be happening so it looks like there's a gap in the market for you BUHLE.

Can you give at least some details of your piracy solution? Is it a novel distribution system or is it special software to allow DRM? I doubt the government will be directly interested because as long as this country isn't on the special 301 watchlist there's little political gain for piracy combating measures. Samro might be interested but even that is a long shot. It's difficult to give further suggestions with no knowledge of your 'solution'.

Thanks
    Gawf, I read the title and thought it was a piracy solution for the Somalian pirates Sorry.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was talking to a games developer on the weekend who told me they recently released a new game (online download only). Within hours of the launch it was already pirated and available as free downloads on the web. 24 hours later if you did a Google search for the game they (the only official release site) had slipped down to page 3.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I also have a business idea for Piracy solution. We keep the pizza & beer vendors in business while the pirates go about their business - The Chinese also have to eat you know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I was talking to a games developer on the weekend who told me they recently released a new game (online download only). Within hours of the launch it was already pirated and available as free downloads on the web. 24 hours later if you did a Google search for the game they (the only official release site) had slipped down to page 3.
    I'm very interested to know;
    Is this a small independent games developer?
    What genre of game is it?
    Is it marketed locally only or internationally?
    Does it have DRM or a steam requirement?
    Does it require joining an online server to play?
    Can the game be played stand-alone off line?
    What kind of copy prevention was built into the game ie static serial key, registration required etc?
    How much does it cost to purchase a genuine copy from the developers site?
    Was the pirated version of the game release altered from the original in any way, ie was it decompiled, reverse engneered or was a loader script/noCD executable supplied to bypass security?
    Was the pirated release 'scene tagged' if so which _RG was it.

Finally does the developer equate one pirated download to being one lost sale? How does he consider the pirated version has effected his sales and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll ask next time I see him.

I do know this is a small independant games developer, it was marketed internationally, was stand-alone and priced at less than $10.

It was their first attempt going on their own. Up to now they've been doing online games under sub-contract for Walt Disney. I think it was a puzzle game.

Thanks
    Install a really vicious virus that will not download or will uninstall if the correct one per user password is used?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'll ask next time I see him.

I do know this is a small independant games developer, it was marketed internationally, was stand-alone and priced at less than $10.

It was their first attempt going on their own. Up to now they've been doing online games under sub-contract for Walt Disney. I think it was a puzzle game.
    If they've never released games under their name then I don't know why pirated versions would appear within a couple of days, that treatment is usually reserved for the big name games. Possibly an inside job......?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Install a really vicious virus that will not download or will uninstall if the correct one per user password is used?
    That was tried already by SonyBMG, it backfired.