Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The voice of ordinary people

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Smile The voice of ordinary people

An ordinary life becomes extraordinary
    when you seek truth
    setting your face against deception and lies.
    Find it. Defend it.
    Then your life will have meaning to others.
    It will make a difference; howsoever small.
    And the world will change; for the better.
    Yes we can.

The above is the impact statement on the 1st page of my book "The Other - without fear, favour or prejudice", published on line just a few months ago.
    I imagined that the time had come for ordinary people to lead change by seeking and defending truth. A central theme was to reject the current purveyance of convenient untruths and suppression of inconvenient truths.

I could not have imagined how right I was to be proved to be ... and how soon ... in Tunisia, Jordan, the Yemen and just now, Egypt.

It is as well also to recall these words -

It is from the numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man (or a woman) stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he (or she) sends a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
    Robert Francis Kennedy,
    Now, what else can one say? really?
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had a few moments of extraordinary recognition in my life. It's an odd feeling; for me I tend to feel incredibly humbled.

The danger to my mind is you can be affected by the hype. And in order to keep something of the core me untouched I remind myself

I'm just an ordinary person living an extraordinary life.

I've often wondered if others who manage to remain humble through far greater recognition do much the same thing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    when you seek truth

Who's truth?

I could not have imagined how right I was to be proved to be ... and how soon ... in Tunisia, Jordan, the Yemen and just now, Egypt.
    And this lot has exactly what to do with truth?

Nee ou broer - non-scientific truth is like beauty "It only exists in the eye of the beholder"

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The voice of ordinary people

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've had a few moments of extraordinary recognition in my life. It's an odd feeling; for me I tend to feel incredibly humbled.

The danger to my mind is you can be affected by the hype. And in order to keep something of the core me untouched I remind myself

I'm just an ordinary person living an extraordinary life.

I've often wondered if others who manage to remain humble through far greater recognition do much the same thing.
    Dave A, with respect you could not have put it better. I somehow stumbled to the conclusion that ordinary lives are extraordinary, if their TRUTH is distilled out and served up for the betterment of humanity.

Mostly the stories of politicians and other celebrities (which is what is always published) is so predictable and "hype filled" as to have little real value, let alone meaningful interest. They serve to do no more than maintain the status quo.

So I published a biography of an ordinary life, and stumbled on the central theme that, on account of its preoccupation with TRUTH in a world concerned to push convenient untruths and suppress inconvenient truths, that life was extraordinary.

It followed that I concluded that if we all became preoccupied in the same way, this would provide the springboard for real transformation of a pretty buggerred up world.

That is why I am quite awestruck as to how right I have been proved .... and so soon.

As regards AdrianH's "whose truth" stance, all I can say is that it is this type of "stoic defeatism" that plays into the hands of the snouted swines at the top..

Fortunately the people of Egypt have not been as confused on the matter.

And AdrianH, with respect if you are confused about truth, you should give up your right to vote.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It followed that I concluded that if we all became preoccupied in the same way, this would provide the springboard for real transformation of a pretty buggerred up world.

That is why I am quite awestruck as to how right I have been proved .... and so soon.

As regards AdrianH's "whose truth" stance, all I can say is that it is this type of "stoic defeatism" that plays into the hands of the snouted swines at the top..

Fortunately the people of Egypt have not been as confused on the matter.

And AdrianH, with respect if you are confused about truth, you should give up your right to vote.
    I will say this: You prove that age does not always bring wisdom, sometimes just arrogance.

I'll keep an eye open for your book in the Humour section at Bargain Books!

Chris I have many things to say but I'm not going to waste my time since you already have all the "Truthful" answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think anyone involved in those demonstrations in Egypt will look back one day and realise it was an exrtaordinary moment in their lives.

When it comes to declaring it a moment of truth and progress, I tend to lean towards Ardrian's concern about rushing to conclusions. It'll take time to tell.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think anyone involved in those demonstrations in Egypt will look back one day and realise it was an exrtaordinary moment in their lives.

When it comes to declaring it a moment of truth and progress, I tend to lean towards Ardrian's concern about rushing to conclusions. It'll take time to tell.
    I hear you. I suppose having spent over 30 years in the Courts, I have a natural intolerance about being confused about truth.

I will insist though that ridding themselves of Mubarak was a "moment of truth", whatever the future may bring.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I will insist though that ridding themselves of Mubarak was a "moment of truth", whatever the future may bring.
    Moment of truth
    Defined
    A critical or decisive time on which much depends; a crucial moment.
    A crucial point; a turning point; a decisive moment.

Truth
    Defined
    A fact that has been verified.

The phrase " A moment of Truth" and the word "Truth" have nothing to do with one another.

Of course ridding themselves of Mubarak is "a Moment of Truth"

I suppose having spent over 30 years in the Courts, I have a natural intolerance about being confused about truth.
    Ok, the rest of us will keep on wondering...

Did OJ Simpson kill his wife?
    Did the CIA have a hand in the shooting of JFK?
    Did George Bush orchestrate 9/11?
    Did Zuma take a bribe?
    Was Mark Thatcher allowed to pay his way to go home while the rest of the clan stayed in jail?
    Is Shabir Shaik dying of cancer?
    Does the phrase "Thou shalt not kill" have any meaning?
    Did Jesus live?
    Were the Crusaders right to do what they did?
    Are the Americans justified in supporting the Israels annihilation of the Palistinians?
    Is it right that the Palistinians are treated like animals?
    Were the Gods aliens?
    Did men build the pyramids?
    Should women be stoned to death if they partake in adultry?
    Should a hand be chopped off if a person is caught stealing?
    Did aliens have a hand in drawing the Nazca lines?
    Are Christian going to heaven and Muslims going to hell?
    Is heaven a place where we all play harps and hell a place where we all burn?
    Is love chemical?
    Do mental disturbances form part of the soul?
    Can reincarnation be disproved?
    Is Buddhism bad?
    Are Muslim states the axis of evil?
    Are we going to heaven or hell?
    Does the law allow some to be more equal than others?
    Does God exist?
    Was the fact that people believed that the earth is flat true for them?
    Is democracy the perfect answer?
    Are the masses always right?

You may think that I am stupid, fair enough, but I'll rather be stupid whilest asking questions than be deluded with my own opinions.

Here are a couple of words that fit together perfectly
    Truth - Courts - Law - Religion - Beliefs - Society - Delusions

And another set
    Humility - Fuzzy - Learn - Change

I have no regard whatsoever for what you call the law because law and truth have very little to do with one another. Law is simply about punishment, and the punishment is based on who is on trail. This does not mean that I am a criminal at heart, and it does not mean that I will go out of my way to break the law, it means that I do not subscribe to all the rules laid down by the law. The punishment doesn't fit the crime and all that the punishment does is either take money from the "guilty" or turn them into worse criminals by sending them to jail to be raped and drawn into gangs.

If you want to reach me then convince me that you are right, otherwise you are simply flapping your wings and making a noise!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The voice of ordinary people

Adtrian A - I unconditionally accept your commendable treatise on the definitions of "Moment of Truth" and "Truth".

However I must insist, with respect, that you have perhaps understandably misconstrued my stance. So we must go back to the impact statement -

when you seek truth
    setting your face against deception and lies.
    Find it. Defend it.
    Then your life will have meaning to others.
    It will make a difference; howsoever small.
    Yes we can.

From this it is pretty clear that I am encouraging the "seeking of truth" ... in order to affect "meaningful" change" to humanity. The statement that follows, referencing "inconvenient truths" and "convenient untruths" puts the context beyond question.

My point is that the Egyptian people got there, as elusive as "truth" often is ... and that is why we are agreed that it was a "Moment of Truth".

I unconditionally withdraw my statement that if you are confused about truth you should give up your vote. I will recast it as - if you unwilling to seek truth and set your face against deception and lies -- then give up your vote.

Note:- I have no reason to think you are "stupid" and no where have I implied this. The reference to "flapping of wings" is not understood.

I am also not at all clear what your point is about law etc. My reference to experience in the courts was a concession that perhaps I have "tunnel vision" when it comes to the issue of "truth".
    If ever you get a copy of my book, from the Humour section at Bargain Books, you may be surprised to find out that there is huge convergence between you and I on the issues of "law" and "justice" ... and the innate failings of the system.

PS: Philosophically, the fact that truth has not been verified, does not mean that it does not exist. As Homo Sapiens it's is our task to seek it for the betterment of humanity. I reject the attitude of "Stoic Defeatism", i.e, "ah well, since I don't know what is true or not, I should just shut up and do nothing".

PPS: As a direct consequence of the book, I have just been invited to address judges and advocates in the UK on "Justice and Equality", having already done this in Namibia.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

adrianh: - I thought I had an obligation, as a member of Homo Sapiens to give you answers on the questions you pose.

Did OJ Simpson kill his wife? Of course, he was Black and in the dock
    Did the CIA have a hand in the shooting of JFK? Not a hand ... a point something Remington rifle
    Did George Bush orchestrate 9/11? Too stupid to "orchestrate" things
    Did Zuma take a bribe? Oh NO, just flooded with appreciation
    Was Mark Thatcher allowed to pay his way to go home while the rest of the clan stayed in jail? It is an admitted fact
    Is Shabir Shaik dying of cancer? more like dying of laughter and good living
    Does the phrase "Thou shalt not kill" have any meaning? Not if you are the victim
    Did Jesus live? Does it matter ... is alive in so many minds
    Were the Crusaders right to do what they did? To the Crusaders, ... and the little boys they took with them - YES
    Are the Americans justified in supporting the Israels annihilation of the Palistinians? NO ,but provides opportunity to generate lots of martyrs ... and all religions agree martyrs are a good thing
    Is it right that the Palistinians are treated like animals? Man IS an animal species
    Were the Gods aliens? Still are, where they when there is so much crap around
    Did men build the pyramids? Absolutely, I was there .. is why I am still so tired
    Should women be stoned to death if they partake in adultry? NO, the giving of so much pleasure should never result in death
    Should a hand be chopped off if a person is caught stealing? Only when found in the napkin of a child
    Did aliens have a hand in drawing the Nazca lines? I really don't know
    Are Christian going to heaven and Muslims going to hell? They all already in hell
    Is heaven a place where we all play harps and hell a place where we all burn? Depends what you are "stoned" on
    Is love chemical? No, it is like virginity ... a bubble in a mountain stream that bursts at the first prick
    Do mental disturbances form part of the soul? Again it depends on what is your drug of choice
    Can reincarnation be disproved? Maybe, put Mugabe under "regression therapy"
    Is Buddhism bad? It can't be, The Dalia Llama says its great
    Are Muslim states the axis of evil? Don't know but met one Moslem bugger who certainly was bad... but not as bad as Mugabe
    Are we going to heaven or hell? We already in hell
    Does the law allow some to be more equal than others? All the time ... without laws people would just be "unequal"
    Does God exist? Oh yes, and if you on the right stuff you will see Him
    Was the fact that people believed that the earth is flat true for them? Belief is a matter of faith, not fact
    Is democracy the perfect answer? If you love sharing stupidity
    Are the masses always right? About being stupid, YES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast