Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation of 220V downlights

Suspended
    Thanks
    an earth wire on a 1 mm t&e is smaller than 1mm square and therefore cannot be connected to a 10 amp circuit breakers...besides all the other issues

the reality of this problem is it happens so it is always advisable to check...as is the black used as a return from a switch.

another favourite is the green of cabtyre used as the return for daynight switches.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    another favourite is the green of cabtyre used as the return for daynight switches.
    Would this be illegal if the green was sleeved another colour on both ends with heat shrink and the daylight sensor was class 2 insulation and didn't require an earth or CPC?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Would this be illegal if the green was sleeved another colour on both ends with heat shrink and the daylight sensor was class 2 insulation and didn't require an earth or CPC?
    What if the cable was sliced in the middle somewhere far from the marked ends?
    It would then be dangerous anyway.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    it is illegal to use cabtyre for a stationary appliance ,so it doesnt really matter. regarding the twin +earth ,using the black as the return,its not legal as the wire is supposed to be taped or sleeved its full length,which is impossible.so i still install it like that ,and pass it if i find it like that.(untill they manufacture red+white twin+earth)for interests sake i have found cable installed for lights that looked like twin+earth but its red,white +blue+earth.never seen it for sale though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    i have found cable installed for lights that looked like twin+earth but its red,white +blue+earth.never seen it for sale though.
    This is a 3 phase cable with earth, or what they call a 3 wire cable, L1, L2 and L3 and earth. Usually used for balanced 3 phase loads or delta connected electric motors.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    i actually meant i have never seen that specific cable before.it looks exactly like twin+earth from the outside. its flat has no aluminium sheath and comes in 1mm.

Thanks
    Is it a stranded or solid core conductor?

There used to be a flat PVC 3 core and earth cable used in the UK that was mostly between 2-way switches but the conductors were solid insulated in Grey Black and Brown if I remember rightly. The earth was bare.

Email problem
    Thanks
    solid,insulated,with bare earth.sound like the cable you are describing andy,but with red,white+blue .handy for 2 way switches and 2 lever switches up to a connection box.theres a few complexes in table view wired with it.

Thanks
    I did a bit of digging and it appears they changed the standard colours of this cable to red, white and blue a few years ago. I see a few UK suppliers who advertise this cable but I've never seen it here. I've only found it available in 1mm sq as well.

I agree it would be handy for lighting and daylight sensors etc.

Suspended
    Thanks
    it is flat but not just twin and and earth it is 3 core +earth..designed and used in low cost housing for switches...live and 2 returns...yellow and blue...problem is you only get it in 1 mm so in a house which has 15 amp circuit breakers for lights it would be under sized.

cabtyre is regarded as a flexible cord if the cores are leass than 0.5 mm and cannot be used in a fixed installation...

i think its time to go back to the instruction manual...if i recall the cable only has to be indentified at each end...but i will refer to the sans greeny

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast