I'm probably going to take some flack here for even daring to compare current institutional injustice to the injustice apartheid meted out to the majority of our population. But I can't help feeling that we're seeing more and more institutional injustice nowadays in areas where it never was a problem before.

Despite all the boasts of a more just society than ever before, are we really getting better? Or is injustice actually on the increase of late?

I've seen lots of discussion on the merits of affirmative action, BEE and preferential procurement, so maybe if we skip those ones as they've probably been discussed to death already. But there are other areas of sharp practice that I have to question - is it really just and fair?

Take unpaid electricity bills by a tenant for example. The contract is between the tenant and the supplier. The tenant moves out while owing money to the supplier and who gets held responsible nowadays? The owner!

Is that just and fair - or are the suppliers (municipalities) abusing their position?