Visited a friend of mine who lives in one of the Cape Town suburbs which overlooks the city. Half way through our second G&T a massive cockroach ambles across the center of the room. I couldn't believe the size of the bugger, it was about 2 1/2 inches long in the body, brown in colour and it had wings. I got up and stamped on it, by the time I'd sat down again it had scuttled off. He said they're quite common in that particular suburb and there was nothing they could do to get rid of them. I immediately suggested a 12 gauge pump action and some salt shells would be the entertaining way to address the infestation but he expressed doubts about the yellow-wood flooring being up to the onslaught. Just wondered if there was a more mundain way of getting rid of these things. I also was interested if they're actually a cockroach, I thought that given their size they might actually be some kind of mutant beetle. Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the damn thing so I appreciate any info will be best-guess.