Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Business

Thanks

Starting a Business

I am looking at starting my own business and currently working on my business plan. However, I am unsure where to go to for information on what land is available and how to get it rezoned for business purposes. My business would be kids orientated and would involve a kiosk as well and with that being said, who do I approach to find out what legislation states on the building of bathrooms, license(s) for the kiosk etc etc. I don't want to give up and am determined to see this through, but am currently feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Ofcourse finance is another pitfall, so if anyone has any advice on any of the above and what to look out for when approaching banks/investors, please let me know. I would appreciate your business know-how.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Your local estate agent, a weekend newspaper, or a Google search will all give you a list of properties available to you.

Rezoning laws, trading licenses and other applicable bylaws will be under the authority of your local municipality. Google and an estate agent might help with some info on these topics, but ultimately its the city council who monitors and processes these bylaws.

Thanks
    Any advice on what to look out for when applying for a start-up business loan? What banks/institutions in your opinion gives good service? Our business concept is really good and has the potential for major growth with different aspects added to it as we grow. We will also be able to employ 20 people from the word 'go'.

Thanks
    actually you can find a lot of seminars that can give you a better idea and understanding on how things work and what is the proper approach you need to do for things like this google it

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderwagen View Post
    Any advice on what to look out for when applying for a start-up business loan? What banks/institutions in your opinion gives good service? Our business concept is really good and has the potential for major growth with different aspects added to it as we grow. We will also be able to employ 20 people from the word 'go'.
    If you have assets such as property, then a bank will give you a loan. They are all pretty much the same so which bank you choose would most likely be a personal one based on your previous experience with them and which individual you deal with.

If you have no assets, things become far trickier. There are venture capital companies, angel investors and government grants as examples. I still don't know of any small start up businesses that have successfully gone these routes.

Otherwise you are left to self fund, either from your own savings or that of friends and family. The trick here is to be creative and start off your business as small as possible, with virtually no start up costs. Then grow your company out of its own profits. Often easier said than done.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Feb-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Retail banks are definitely more interested in your collateral than your business plan.

Thanks
    The major problem we have is that we need funds to get this business off the ground. This type of business we are planning unfortunately needs a lot of start-up capital to attract the target market i.e. kids & parents. We have a potential investor that is very interested in what we are planning and we are scheduled to meet up once our business plan is complete. It is just a pity that there is a lot of very good ideas out there and people willing to put in the hard work, but not necessarily having the funds or assets to be able to do that. I am a perfect example. I am hoping that our business plan and potential for growth will do the trick and the investor agrees to back us.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderwagen View Post
    It is just a pity that there is a lot of very good ideas out there and people willing to put in the hard work, but not necessarily having the funds or assets to be able to do that.
    A fairly common sentiment.

I went looking for a thread from a little while ago where a guy wanted someone to finance setting up a gym he thought was a sure thing. It really showed up the cracks in the "good ideas just need hard work and finance to fly" line of thought.

I didn't find it, but I did find this one on funding advice that covered some ground.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tady View Post
    Need a Life cover,Medical aid or Funeral cover.Earn great Discounts on shopping,Gyming ,Travelling and many more.This is an opportunity to have fun

and save your future from financial insecurity.Call Tee on *********
    Maybe go back and read the thread again TADY
    The services you're offering aren't anything to do with business financing.
    Last edited by Dave A; 03-Feb-11 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    tady got untidy and was drilled for spamming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast