Dear Fellow Forum Members,

I am doing graphic design work at home for a company. I work approximately 20 hours a week and I am expected to invoice the company every month for the hours worked.

I am a registered tax payer and approached SARS to advise them that I have begun trading as a sole proprietor. I was advised by SARS to send a written declaration to the appropriate department at the provincial offices in Cape Town.

My questions are as follows:

1. As a Sole Proprietor, will my tax number that was assigned to me whilst previously in full-time employment remain the same?

2. As a Sole Proprietor, am I required to provide my tax number on invoices issued to my clients?

3a. My expected earnings as a Sole Proprietor for the next 6 months is R24000.00, and for the next 12 months is R48000.00. That's an average of R4000.00 per month. How much provisional tax am I expected to pay (not taking tax deductable expenses into consideration) based on the aforementioned expected earnings?

3b. It is my understanding that if my expected earnings over the next 12 months is less than the current tax threshold of R57000.00 for individuals below the age of 65, then as a Sole Proprietor I will not have to pay provisional tax, although I will still have to submit my provisional tax forms twice a year. Is my understanding correct?

I would be most appreciative if I were to receive answers to my aforementioned questions.

Thanking you in advance.
Best Regards.