Thread: Investment agreement with director

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Investment agreement with director

I was considering setting up a loan/investment between myself and my company. The idea would be to put funds that are either earmarked for certain things (such as tax and VAT) into an interest bearing investment.

Obviously I could go and setup a fixed deposit, or call account (and so on), but it would seem like a better idea to set up an agreement with myself (a director) and then put the money into my bond, and pay interest to the company. Seems like a win-win situation....emphasis on seems.

I'll have to pay tax on the money earned from having the funds in my bond, but that would be offset against the interest paid, and possibly against the interest on the bond amount.

Any issues with doing that (both ethically and legally)? Anything that I need to watch out for?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About the only tip off the top of my head is try not to owe the company on a loan account at end of financial year.

Of course, the beauty of putting it in a bond account is that you are reducing your interest bill, which in effect is "earning" you interest at a higher rate than you could in a savings, money market or notice account and SARS doesn't tax you on the savings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    About the only tip off the top of my head is try not to owe the company on a loan account at end of financial year.
    Why would that be? Tax implications?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Mainly because it's what the auditors look at most when it comes to loan accounts. If it bounces around some during the financial year that's not much of an issue. If you owe the company on the financial reports, they're going to insist on an interest charge.

There are other issues, the big one being if the company is technically insolvent (ask Ms. Boloyi ). You also want to protect the nett current asset situation on your financial reports. They are only a snapshot really, but it's a snapshot with clout.

Thanks
    What is the definition for technically insolvent? Nett assets < nett liabilities?

From a bookkeeping point of view, it would be nicer to have it classed as a current asset—a short term investment—than part of my directors loan account. It means that I can separate what the company owes me each month (for things that I pay for directly) and what the investment portion is. I could set up a formal agreement and pay interest (say 6% on the money invested). Then both parties win.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's a transaction with a connected party. A director of the company no less.

Ultimately, as long as you are the only shareholder there isn't too much to be concerned about. When there are shareholders that are not directors these sorts of arrangements are closely analyzed and supposed to be reported in great detail.