Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A ply too far

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some answers.

Many of the other providers of instructions in writing systems have developed their solutions based on the Cefic Tremcard. For example, several systems use the same standard sentences and numbering system. However, while many systems use the Cefic Tremcard numbering system, the content of Cefic Tremcards is protected by copyright and cannot therefore be replicated by any other system.
    from a CEFIC website here
    And the Tremcard page from NCEC which looks interesting given Duncan's question.

No sign of a pricetag though.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    We are going to attempt to approach The Department of Transport in the hope that this is indeed a poorly considered standard.

Just for interest sake. SABS now charge only R25.00 per CEFIC Tremcard (1-10 copies). SABS cannot advise us the initial purchase price of the software, but the annual license fee is British Pounds 2,050

The SA government gives a monopoly to NCEC, not to CEFIC as CEFIC has given the exclusive right to use the name CEFIC Tremcards to NCEC. (CEFIC represents the Chemical Industry.)
    NCEC is a commercial company in the UK and has a license from CEFIC to use their name on the cards they produce.

Putting our specific case aside, my stand point is that ANY standards which require copyright license fees for "day to day" implementation of compulsory standards, is, in my personal opinion - an abuse of authority, and a ply too far!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback, Yvonne. I hope it goes well.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Have been advised that the Govt. notice of re-incorporation of the “old” standard does not in fact “legally” withdraw any later published standard.

We obtained the very latest copy from the S.A.B.S. yesterday and the standard does permit compliance with an alterative to the NCEC/CEFIC TREMCARD© - S.A.N.S. 10232-4

These instructions are named a TREC card: this is not a software package and can be drawn up by a company for their own usage, providing they are compliant with S.A.N.S. 10232-4

Whew! I have wasted almost an entire week -on this issue.
    Learnt quite a bit!
    Evidently this problem is not resolved, but would require an Ammedment, or perhaps even a new standard, but at least this time we have warning, and hopefully can attempt to be involved in the consultative process.

This has been a lesson to us, in various aspects of business.
    It is not possible to just keep your nose to the grindstone doing all you can to be financially profitable, you need to be up to speed on anything that can affect your business, and involvement in your own industry association is beneficial.

One word of warning, do not believe everything you read in trade magazines, many of the articles are authored by folk who are seeking to protect their own business interests.
    Or written in "panic" on a forum,
    when the ")&*$@" hits the fan, because you believe something you read in a trade magazine - as I did.

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm so pleased. Now you can give those copyright charging folks the (I do hope that smilie is waving the right finger)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne Symons View Post
    Learnt quite a bit!
    Far from a total loss that will all make the next "challenge" so much easier to deal with. Way to go Yvonne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123