Thread: Pastel

Thanks

Pastel

A question for our Pastel fundi.................

Neville,

Is there any way I can "lock" the tax column so that it cannot be changed by a junior user.

I just had the situation where the guy on the counter made an invoice and "by mistake" changed the "01" default tax entry to "00" thus no tax on that item.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Hi Martin,

I'm not in front of my computer right now, so I can't check if there is a way of disabling the changing of VAT types under user access rights. I will check up on that when I get a chance and report back.

A quick and easy way of preventing the VAT type from being changed (or even seen) is to hide that column on the document screen. Simply drag the vertical border of the column to make it invisible, much as you would do in Excel. You would need to open the document under his user name, so that the setting is done for him only (and don't let him see you do it!). If you need to restore the column width again, go to the Batch button and click on Restore Columns.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

3. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (19-Jan-11)

Thanks
    I have found that you can force the tax at customer level (Edit..customer..accounts..processing). For local customers I force 01 tax code. It works well for foreign clients as you can force exempt tax code. This eliminates any errors by juniors etc.
    It is just a bit time consuming initially, because you have to set up each customer with a forced tax code...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greghsa View Post
    I have found that you can force the tax at customer level
    Forcing tax types is very handy as a means to override the default tax type for specific customers or general ledger accounts. However, it will still be possible for someone to change the forced tax type.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Thanks
    OK, I've just had a look at the options under Setup...Users/Passwords/Users and then Process Options, and there is no option to disable the editing of the tax type.

Interestingly enough, it is possible to do it with the Point of Sale module.

Therefore, I suggest you try the hidden column option that I mentioned earlier - it's not foolproof, but it's worth a try!

7. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (19-Jan-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post

Therefore, I suggest you try the hidden column option that I mentioned earlier - it's not foolproof, but it's worth a try!
    I have tried this but only seem to work for that particular invoice. If you close the window and re-open then the Tax column shows again. Am I missing something. Greg's suggestion works 100% but as he said, a bit of a schlep to change all the customer tax types.
    Also what I have found is that if you change the "processing" option in the setup to "inclusive", then all invoices will have the inclusive option ticked and then changing the tax type in the invoice, will not affect the tax being charged or not. The program will charge tax, but the inclusive option can be changed while invoicing but not "by mistake".
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011