Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthing and the CoC

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    ...assuming the light is totally enclosed in non-conductive material... just to make it really interesting.

Here's a thought relating to extent of liability:

Replacing a light bulb typically comes with a fair number of hazards, including working at height, working with an object containing glass and more often than not, an object containing sharp edges.

Working on a live fitting just adds a few avoidable hazards.

I still think a responsible person is accountable if found to have failed to install to code, but as any sparky will tell you - when it comes to working on an electrical installation the only assumption you should make is everything's live.
    especially if they are load shedding...or the power is switched off for the day and you didnt see the notice...or the the municipality have lost a phase...and...and....and

Thanks
    Isolating procedures I have seen used on a regular basis are pathetic. Assuming the sparky even bothers to isolate the supply the usual thing is to put a piece of insulation tape over the breaker whilst working. I've only ever seen one sparky in nearly 20 years who uses a proper lockout kit on the circuit breaker. No matter how non-compliant or what wiring has shorted out you should never get a shock if you're working safely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.