Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child killed by washing machine

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carter View Post
    No COC required for maintenance work. You are not adding or altering the existing installation.
    As things stand, agreed. But what assurance is there that the work was carried out correctly?

Can you hold the issuer of the original COC responsible if that replacement component was installed by someone not under his/her control and it causes an event?
    And if not, who is now the responsible person for the condition of that electrical installation?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    As things stand, agreed. But what assurance is there that the work was carried out correctly?

Can you hold the issuer of the original COC responsible if that replacement component was installed by someone not under his/her control and it causes an event?
    And if not, who is now the responsible person for the condition of that electrical installation?

a good example of this...a while back i went to a house to sort out an electrical problem and found the plugs had all been replaced with new plugs...the person who replaced the plugs fitted 4x4 pvc extention boxes over the 4x2 flush box and replaced the 4x2 sso with 4x4 dso...the problem...the old plugs didnt have an earth wire just 2 wires coming out the pipe...so the person who replaced all the plugs...a total of 12 didnt earth the new plugs...if this house had a coc issued before the house was sold and the new owner got an electrician (it was a registered electrical contractor in durban) once they moved in to replace all the sockets...the only way to prove this was done after the new owner moved in...would be if the inspector filled out the coc with an attachement with a list of all the sockets and type...and photos...and as we all know it is an absolute waste of time reporting this type of thing...

rather check that the electrical contractor is an eca registered contractor and target the eca fro the R15000 workmanship guanrantee...you have a better chance of getting the problem sorted out at no addittional cost to you...because the eca will not want to part with their money...and if you go the DOL route unless someone is killed on site chances are you wont even get them on site...and if you do...you become liable for the cost of the investigation and the cost of the repair...then only can you claim your money back from whoever was responsible.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    rather check that the electrical contractor is an eca registered contractor and target the eca fro the R15000 workmanship guanrantee...you have a better chance of getting the problem sorted out at no addittional cost to you...because the eca will not want to part with their money...

So are you joining the eca, Murdock?
    Last edited by Dave A; 20-Jan-11 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    All agreed but, as far as I recall, memory on the downhill, since 1991 no coc shall be issued or socket outlet installed without there being an ELCB. I believe it was phased in over a few years(3) and '91 was the end of phasing in period. I just cannot help but wonder how anyone would be happy to live in a house with or without little children without the absolute certainty that it is safe for them. Everyone knows about ELCBs' by now. Unfortunately it boils down to irresponsible parents, look how many kids drown, are knocked over and abused. It is easier to blame the fly-by-night cheapie electrician because they want to save a buck.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

So are you joining the eca, Murdock?
    actually i have decided i no longer want to waste my money being a member...considering i have to pay extra as a memebr to the bargaining council...i will pass thanks until i can see some real benefit to me as a small contractor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12