Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell C's new Data Packages

Thanks
    Hmm interesting upload speed! Makes me a tad jealous!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    I've also found the Vodacom upload speeds are great in comparison to others. See this: http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/showthread.php/3271-Vodacom-3G-sucks!?p=40955&viewfull=1#post40955

Edit: today's tests:

Strangely, the upload on HSDPA wasn't "that" great today. And Verison was actually giving its best ... yippeee!!! The ADSL is still dead on its feet ... in comparison to the others at least.
    Last edited by Dave A; 19-Jan-11 at 03:18 PM.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Dunno... mine really seems to be getting worse daily

What the speedtests dont show very well is that the speed as it starts upload is FANTASTIC!! , as it it gets to about 3 seconds and then around 6 seconds so that average test speed is not really the real stuff.

I have increased my outgoing timeout now around 10 fold.... this is really discouraging!
    Garth

Thanks
    My ADSL at home has been down since Monday. ( Eish sir , sorry the cables she has been stolen )
    I am looking at the CellC promotion R 999 p/a for 2 gig / month = R 83.25 p/m for 2 gig.
    Telkom cost: R 133 for tel line + R 152 for adsl + R 29 for 2 gig = R314 p/m Sooooo no comparison and as a bonus.....the speed ! AND you can carry it anywhere but my nice home network LAN is going down the drain !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    ... but my nice home network LAN is going down the drain !
    Yes unfortunately a wireless AP router's not going to work too well with a USB dongle modem. However, I have seen some routers which can connect to USB modems ... if they work on CellC's modems I couldn't say. "Maybe" ... perhaps ... close your eyes ... pray ... do whatever you can think of to make your luck more ... and contact CellC to ask: "Is there a way to share my 3G over a wireless?" ... uhmm ... I can't seem to find anything about that on their site ... so you're probably left with sharing your connection through Windows's own internet connection sharing (which as I've stated in another post is a near impossibility to get working on wireless, or at least extremely difficult).

Edit, just did a google on that modem of theirs. It seems there are some wireless routers working with it: http://www.tvclip.biz/video/vNMxlarB...ovado-3gn.html
    Last edited by irneb; 20-Jan-11 at 09:54 AM.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

6. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (20-Jan-11)

Thanks
    Ohhhh ... yes ... yes.... yes...!!

Did that Cell C 2 gig today, struggled like crazy to get it working on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 and theres not much help out there just yet, will post something on the Ubuntu thread, some will find it usefull for sure.

Decision came last night taking 2 hours to try and get 4 simple 400kb emails out.

So heres the new speed test and by the way operating on edge half the time as we are in a dip!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot1.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	1836

Vodacom 3G is dead to me from now on.

A few interesting... Cell C is operating there own network, some 2500 towers, there speed in a real hot zone is FRIGGIN UNREAL!! I tested the 5 Gig dongle which is 3 times the speed of this... FRIGGIN UNREAL... sorry said that already.

I really really like it but hope that the network doesnt get to congested and stuff things up to soon! Just gotta last a year...
    Garth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garthu View Post
    I really really like it but hope that the network doesnt get to congested and stuff things up to soon! Just gotta last a year...
    Yep! That's probably the pain isn't it? I remember about 7 years ago in PE the MTN connections were a total disaster ... to the point that even normal cell phone would cut out halfway through a call. The result was that everyone there moved over to Vodacom. Now it's the other way round, MTN has built-up their network in the meantime, while Vodacom's become so congested I've never found anything better than EDGE while there (sometimes even reverting down to GPRS).

So hopefully CellC's not going to get congested too quickly: "Now everyone, DON'T PUSH!!"

Thanks
    The problem is any wireless technology is share with the number of clients using it. So the first guys on the block always rave and then lots of people buy. Then the problem.
    I have heard very good reports about CellC (for now) but a word of warning. CellC is UMTS 900, check your device supports this. If you just bought an iPad and think this is the ideal package, think again.

You can't compare ADSL with any cellular package. I have ADSL 4Mb/s and 4M uncapped from Mweb. I push 30-40GB+ a month.
    At 2GB a month even at 5c a meg does not cut it.

But then again if you have a phone that supports Wifi, you only need 3G when you are really mobile so how much data do you need?

Thanks
    That's what I was alluding to: as soon as a great number of customers jumps onto CellC it'll become just another slow and falling over connection.

As an aside, we've got a 30GB capping on a X-DSL running on 2x 4MB/s ADSL lines as the backup connection for our company's uncapped radio connection through Verison. The X-DSL's uncapped is unfortunately shaped (that's why we went with the capped version). We were on MWeb previously, but had to move off them since they were extremely expensive for our needs (not to mention their service was a standard answer of: "It's not our fault, it must be on your side").

Could you please do your math on getting the 5c/M thing for 2G? Take in account that I don't have a telkom (or other) telephone line, so I'd have to include the R400+ per month just to have Telkom put me on hold when it inevitably fails.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know my MTN sucks!!! 1mb of data “was an e-mail” took about 5min!!!! That is five minutes!!! When MTN cuts you because your cap is dead it happens in but a moment. If they have “network trouble” it takes forever! Also they ignore inquiries very efficiently... When it comes to their products, services and just overall attitude they STINK!!! When it comes to taking your money they are absolutely flawless...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast