Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Racism is racism is racism ...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I also spent time in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia.

The Namibians are doing something right! .... wonderfully right!.
    Yes, I fully agree. If I were to move anywhere in Africa it would be to Windhoek.

It is amazing how one doesn't notice race in Namibia. Here is a thought - could it be because the people have vey similar accents and speech. Whereas in South Africa the different accents are not only noticeable but also encouraged through the use of 11 languages - Food for thought.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought this is a strong point to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The reason I believe is that the ruling party is only 1% point higher than the opposition at the polls, which ensures that they have to perform, or they will be out at the next election. This ensures that the politicians concentrate in solving the nations problems with out having to employ their friends and family. Their position is measured by their ability, and not by their connections.
    Not only do they have to be aware of their performance, there has to be a genuine underlying respect for democratic principles if they see the potential of not being the "ruling party" as real.

I actually think that's where a lot of the sh*t starts - when the majority party sees itself as the "ruling" party, not merely the party that represents most (but certainly not all) of the interests of the citizens of the country. Governments need to attend to the best interests of all its citizens, whether they support the majority party or not.

When you're sensitive to the fact that you might be the minority party one day, you tend to be a little more sensitive to how the majority party might treat you and set good precedents as to how that relationship should be conducted.

Knowing you could be on the receiving end of your own medicine one day certainly encourages wise decisions.
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Jan-11 at 08:12 AM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Talking Racism is racism is racism

The reason I believe is that the ruling party is only 1% point higher than the opposition at the polls,
    Oh no ... there are plenty perceived and other problems as regards government in Namibia. And their Home Affairs Department .... huh!!!!!

I am referring to the social fabric ... and the emotional intelligence of the general populace.

Ordinary people in Namibia seem to without the moat around the wall that is referred to in the poem by Mtshali. In SA we are much better at division than unity and acceptance of each other. And, as I have insisted in a previous post, it is not going to change as long as there has been no national reconciliation (including forgiveness) ... AND we have this climate of official embedded racism.

Having said that, I must admit that the Basters in Namibia really seem to want to be just left alone ... in the main. Ah well, it can never be perfect.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Thanks
    Will SAmbabwe go the same way as Zimbabwe?
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Talking Racism is racism is racism

Will SAmbabwe go the same way as Zimbabwe?
    I do not think so. There is one HUGE difference about SA in relation to Zim and the rest of traditional Africa. It is what may be termed the "Polokwane phenomenon".

You see, at Polokwana, something truly fantastic happened. The vote of ordinary branch members removed the most powerful person in the country.

This could never have happened in Zim. You did not even discuss Mugabe, except with those closest to you, and in hushed tones. If you did, you could disappear ... as many did .... CIO, Mugabe's Gestapo would deal with you .... Zapiro would have been a candidate for "mineshaft internment".

So, in SA, people are truly free ... and leaders are accountable.

This freedom was hard won. Many gave their lives for it. Some were even "braaid" whilst their killers drank in celebration. It is a freedom that must not be wasted.

That is why it is so important to use your voice ... as the Tunisians have at last .... and not hunker down in stoic defeatism .....
    Last edited by ChrisNG53; 16-Jan-11 at 09:37 AM.
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345