Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is SEO

Thanks
    In SEO, orginal content is King

Thanks
    With Google's new Penguin update, they're focussing their attentions more on those thin content sites with little or no original content. But as Vishen Lakhani of MindValley say's, if you use another's article and give your own opening paragraph, then Google considers that article original, so if you do use other people's content, I do too sometimes, as their are people who've made their excellent content available either with a creative commons licence or uncopyright.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to are visitors to your site coming and visiting your site and engaging with you, and do you create value for them to stay and come back?

Thanks
    Yes, you can choose which category you want articles, and you can approve or decline articles that become available in you account. I only approve articles that are 90% and higher original.

Thanks
    Yes. I agree with this.

Thanks
    The old way of doing SEO is over now since the penguin update. Link Directories, Article Directories, etc. are not worth going after any more if you are specifically looking to rank on Google. It's a sad but true fact. White hat SEO is key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The old way of doing SEO is over now since the penguin update. Link Directories, Article Directories, etc. are not worth going after any more if you are specifically looking to rank on Google. It's a sad but true fact. White hat SEO is key.
    OK then, What is white hat seo?

Thanks
    White hat SEO is spreading your backlinks "naturally". When I say naturally I mean writing a blog post that relates to your site or creating an infographic. Here is an example:

White Hat: Write a single article and post it onto your blog. You link twice to 2 different pages on your main website.
    Black Hat: Write/steal an article and post it into a 5 different article directories and 2 different forums.

White Hat: You reply in someones forum thread about "On-Page SEO" and you link back to an article you wrote on the subject on your blog/website.
    Black Hat: You go onto any thread and hide links within periods [.] and you add a single keyword to the end of every reply linking to your website that has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Google has changed their algorithms a lot. This means that websites are penalized for applying black hat SEO. Google wants things to be natural, not forced.

Thanks
    I think that, ultimately, the folks who will do the best are those that focus on attracting the right people to their websites, irrespective of their ranking. Those are often the folks that DO rank well in any case.

What I mean by that is buy a link because it will get you targeted visitors from that site, not because of the link's PR.

Write a GREAT article and post it on Article Directories because of the PEOPLE who will read that and come to see more. (And the people who will re-post it on their sites so that other people can read it and come see more).

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Old school tactics, with a slight angle to work online, still seems to be what works best.
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    You are correct Norri but the problem now with the penguin update is that if you have one too many links coming in from dodgy sites, google will un-index you. A lot of sites have been affected from this update and have had to move away from old tactics and employ white hat SEO tactics.

But I understand what you mean. You have a good point.

Thanks
    Thanks Rod

Matt Cutts keeps saying that they don't so much penalise your website as they penalise those links -> making them count for nothing. Which makes you wonder about all the people who were hit: How much value were they adding if they ONLY had links from dodgy sites?

Which brings me back to my belief that, if you're really adding value, you have nothing to fear but work :P Lots and lots of good, honest, strategic work! And by strategic I'm just trying to make sure that everyone understands that I still think Keyword Research is INCREDIBLY important. Rather find 100 easy-to-rank-for, money keywords (people searching for a solution) than 1-5 hard-to-rank-for, if-I-get-this-I'm-made-for-life keywords :P
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast