Thread: New NRT regulations

Thanks

New NRT regulations

The National Road Traffic Regulations have been amended. The amendment is in Government Gazette 33796, Notice number 1113 published on 25 November 2010. It is called the affecting test stations are listed below:-

 Roadworthy certificates for vehicles that change ownership has been changed from 6 months to 21 days. (Regulation 138 3 (c) reads that “a motor vehicle other than a motor vehicle referred to in regulation 142 (1) of which the owner has changed within six months after the date of liability for the first licensing of such motor vehicle” has been changed to … within 21 days…
     Regulation 141 (b) sub reg 4 dealing with re-tests, amended to make provision for only ONE retest
     New motor vehicles registered after 1 August 2010 must have number plates that are fitted with pop rivets or screws. If it cannot be fitted to the vehicle it must be fitted to a bracket that complies with SANS 973.
     As of 1 February 2011 persons who obtain driving licences for a code C, C1, EC or EC1 driving licence will not be allowed to drive a motor vehicle that requires a code B or code EB licence (in old terms – a person with a code 10, 11, 13 or 14 licence cannot drive a vehicle for which you need a code 08 licence). This will only apply to new licence holders.
     Foreign licences are accepted if the person got the licence while he was not in SA for a period longer than 3 months. Foreign licences are valid in SA until it expires in the country of issue but not for longer than 5 years after the person got permanent residence in SA
    Directional Stability Control Devices for mini and midibuses are introduced through a certification process that forms part of the roadworthy test. It applies to all mini and midibuses and not only newly manufactured vehicles. Huh !!!!!
     Left-hand drive steered vehicles: Legality is clarified – the owner of such a vehicle may, if the vehicle was licensed in his name before 23 July 2004, sell the vehicle and the new owner my licence it.
     An amendment to regulation 332 was published and lists the evidential breath testers that may be used to collect evidential breath samples and the certificate issued by the manufacturer or supplier may be used as evidence in cases by the mere production thereof.
     Management representatives of testing stations are limited to testing 150 motor vehicles per month.

Many of these amendments have great implications for test stations as well as motor dealers. We will be sending out a circular to dealers to explain these amendments.

JOY OLDALE
    NATIONAL DIRECTOR
    Last edited by Martinco; 10-Dec-10 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added bold and word
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (10-Dec-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This one struck me as really odd:
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
     Left-hand drive steered vehicles: Legality is clarified – the owner of such a vehicle may, if the vehicle was licensed in his name before 23 July 2004, sell the vehicle and the new owner my licence it.
    But that new owner won't ever be able to sell it to someone else who could licence it here in SA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    This one struck me as really odd:

But that new owner won't ever be able to sell it to someone else who could licence it here in SA
    Yes crazy !!!
    But I specifically highlighted the one on "Directional Stability Control devices" to be fitted to ALL taxi's.. How can this be done ?
    Not possible if the vehicle was not manufactured with the proper components in place e.g. the ABS system which it the heart of the system, the electronic control system, the wheel sensors ( which normally fit into castings behind the discs ) and having to fit these sensors into the rear brake drums is virtually impossible ( Most taxis still have drum brakes at the rear ! )

I would really like to meet the person who proposed this regulation and have him/her explain the above to me. IMHO just another example of totally untrained people/morons venturing into a field of which they have no knowledge at all.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    But I specifically highlighted the one on "Directional Stability Control devices" to be fitted to ALL taxi's.. How can this be done ?
    May not be as crazy as it might seem at frst glance.

I'm sure a retrofit costs a fair bit of money.
    Government is pretty keen to get all old taxis off the road.

2 + 2 = 4