Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you need "super fast internet" for?

Thanks

What would you need "super fast internet" for?

The thread about superfast internet got me thinking... what would you really use superfast internet for?
    Personally, I could see it being used for big businesses who need to be joined to their different branches, or stores that need a central hub for their POS.
    And, of course, downloading... but that wouldn't really fall in the scope of business, unless your business is downloading ^^.
    So if we had "super fast internet" what would you use it for and why? would it really help your business versus an in-house solution?

Thanks
    for this type of thing I would guess
    http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/G...-soon-20101208
    No hard drives!!

Thanks
    My biggest domestic use for fast internet would be on-demand streaming media.

Thanks
    Inhaling the interwebs!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing more frustrating for me to tap my fingers waiting for a page to load, or a transaction to complete. Lag drives me nuts.

I get frustrated doing transactions on my financial program over a 100Mbps LAN where the database is on another machine.

Now if you're connecting your financial database to a CRM, the issues start climbing fast.

The CRM needs to be on either a static IP where your ISP doesn't have an unreasonable email send rate, or you have to get adequate webserver space somewhere - probably VPS minimum.

The solution is setting up a VPN incorporating a VPS - and that would need super fast internet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ironically internet is based on a communication system so that data can be shared across borders. As the home office becomes a more popular idea “supper fast internet” will become a necessary tool for conferences, formal meetings and informal communication between workers that is soon to be scattered all over the world, DELL being the biggest example of this type of communication system.

Education systems will be a close second because a single teacher would be able to reach thousands of students; students would be able to communicate and create virtual workshops or just use the system for leisure.

Interactive media, shows, news and entertainment is an inevitable next step. On demand viewing is becoming a reality slowly and soon will take over TV network’s role. Also you will no longer need a big computer to do all this because your mobile phone will be fully integrated to use all these technologies.

Superfast internet is designed to connect people, organisations and it will do exactly that if available to both the home and business user.

Also the new true 3D hologram systems are slowly coming into its own thanks to advanced laser and LED technology. So it is not to far fetch to see true 3D live feeds that will require more data to do so, so the faster the net the better these technologies can evolve.

The real question is cost and sustainability but I think that is another topic entirely.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think that all communication devices (including entertainment) will fold into one interface. The need for a PC, TV, Fax, cell phone, landline, DVD player etc will no longer exist. All you really need is a high speed multimedia / communications device with multiple screens, keyboards etc.

An interesting aside is that digital communications frees up a lot of analog RF bandwidth. Radio controlled models used 27MHz, 35MHz & 60MHz with lots of bleeding into other channels. The number of channels were seriously limited and radios frequently interfered with one another. Then a company called Spektrum developed a digital 2.4GHz system that allows for about 80 channels to be used simultaneously. This advance in communications totally opened up the RC market and all the manufacturers have moved over to 2.4GHz.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (09-Dec-10)

Thanks
    A launch deal with Verizon will provide Chrome notebook users 100MB of wireless data per month free for the first two years.
    that's crazy. 100MB per month. if they're dealing with a 100% online filesystem, how can that be justified 0_o

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got to hook you somehow

Thanks
    Some light on internet speed

I have noticed that most people think having a 100 Mb Local Area means you can download 100Mb a second which is not the case

Your line speed is determined by your dsl line, this can either be 4Mb/ 512 K or 384k

This is still not true speed

A 4 Mb line would get 400 perhaps on Download

Here is a link where you can test your connection speed
    www.speedtest.net

This will be a upload and download speed test and will shed some light on the topic

I heard Cell C launched a 21 Meg Dongle with a speedtest result of 9Mb download which is excellent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast