Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you need "super fast internet" for?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    There's nothing more frustrating for me to tap my fingers waiting for a page to load, or a transaction to complete. Lag drives me nuts.

I get frustrated doing transactions on my financial program over a 100Mbps LAN where the database is on another machine.

Now if you're connecting your financial database to a CRM, the issues start climbing fast.

The CRM needs to be on either a static IP where your ISP doesn't have an unreasonable email send rate, or you have to get adequate webserver space somewhere - probably VPS minimum.

The solution is setting up a VPN incorporating a VPS - and that would need super fast internet.
    I agree completely with your statement, but its not always your connection thats gets the blame

Should the host of the website not be up to standard your site dns lookup can take 4 times longer

For example

A average hosting company loading a 35k Home Page takes 0.45 seconds
    A fast reliable host for the same packet takes 0.15 seconds

Huge difference from the start

Thanks

Fast, Faster....

I don't need a superfast internet connection right now but it would be nice to have a 10 meg d/l speed so I can just watch one Youtube video without the darn thing pausing every three seconds for twenty seconds at 384k.

Problem is, there is no enticement for government to supply this service when the masses don't use it/can't afford it/not interested in it.

Ten years ago, Telkom was able to supply 4 meg easily. Today they are milking the system for all its worth to rake in the dough while pretending that bandwidth is limited or too expensive. Hence their entry level remains at 384K and you have to pay a premium for better speed.

I look forward to the day SA moves into the 20th century. It will be a long time before they move into the 21st century with the rest of the world.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Everyone wants a fast internet connection, but there's a point at which extra range of frequency which is wasted. The next step is speed how quickly data travels from one place to another. The Internet is a constantly improving it's entity with websites demanding with faster Internet connection.For small businesses faster Internet connection will also be able to communicate with clients and other businesses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by popayetwo View Post
    I don't need a superfast internet connection right now but it would be nice to have a 10 meg d/l speed so I can just watch one Youtube video without the darn thing pausing every three seconds for twenty seconds at 384k.

Problem is, there is no enticement for government to supply this service when the masses don't use it/can't afford it/not interested in it.

Ten years ago, Telkom was able to supply 4 meg easily. Today they are milking the system for all its worth to rake in the dough while pretending that bandwidth is limited or too expensive. Hence their entry level remains at 384K and you have to pay a premium for better speed.

I look forward to the day SA moves into the 20th century. It will be a long time before they move into the 21st century with the rest of the world.
    With SKA getting implementing, South Africa will have some of the fastest connection speeds in the world, together with Australia.

Telkom has already as of the beginning of this Month upgraded the 384k to 1meg, there is no more 384k. People who were on 1meg was upgraded to 2meg at no extra cost. The bottom line is, the SKA requirement mean that the low base line speeds is no longer going to be there. To accommodate the SKA the whole infrastructure is being upgraded.

8ta at this point have the fastest wireless options available.

You would have noticed in the last few Years and on a continuous basis that the roads are trenched and fiber optics installed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsa View Post
    With SKA getting implementing, South Africa will have some of the fastest connection speeds in the world, together with Australia.

Telkom has already as of the beginning of this Month upgraded the 384k to 1meg, there is no more 384k. People who were on 1meg was upgraded to 2meg at no extra cost. The bottom line is, the SKA requirement mean that the low base line speeds is no longer going to be there. To accommodate the SKA the whole infrastructure is being upgraded.
    My son in Sydney Oz has clocked 54Megs on his home Internet at slack periods which drops to a merw 24 megs at peak time. We had a race to load a BIG page - his took 0.5 secs and mine took 15 minutes. Also, I don't know anyone who has been upgraded yet to 1Meg - I am STILL on 0.3Meg. Telkom promised it would be upgraded in Aug, then Sep now Nov. Does anyone out there actually have upgraded 0.3 line speed yet?

Thanks
    My 384k was upgraded to 1meg since the 1st of this Month. As it is normally, it is not 100% 1meg, but I am at least 3-4 times faster than before.

Just some advice if you have a DSL line. Phone then every Month and tell them to reset your connection. What they do is load your point through out the Month with more and more users. If you ask them to reset your connection and also complain about your speed, then they put you every time with less users on the switch.

7. Thanks given for this post:

popayetwo (13-Oct-12)

Thanks
    Remember when a 386 was considered state of the art, until bigger more memory and speed consuming games came along?

I predict that superfast connection will slowly get throttled by bigger and bigger dowloads.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsa View Post
    Just some advice if you have a DSL line. Phone then every Month and tell them to reset your connection. What they do is load your point through out the Month with more and more users. If you ask them to reset your connection and also complain about your speed, then they put you every time with less users on the switch.
    I did this and after several attempts, the dude at Telkom got it right and now I am upgraded to 1 meg. Actual speeds on test are D/L 1.8Meg, U/L .42Meg. So I am actually getting more that 1 Meg AT THE MOMENT. Dunno how long that will last though.
    Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12