Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error messages that don't inspire confidence

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Error messages that don't inspire confidence

I call the Workmans Compensation Fund to enquire why I have not received my letter of good standing yet. The normal call centre routine - type 2 - and get this message:
    We are experiencing a technical problem in our system. Please be patient and wait for the next available agent.
    Wait about ten minutes, when an operator answers.

Ask about the status of my request for letter of good standing.

Can you guess the answer?

I'm afraid I can't help you because our systems are down. Please call back in ten minutes.
    Pointing out that I'd already waited ten minutes just to have the call answered yielded this reassuring response:
    Well, in that case, call back in half an hour.
    Last edited by Dave A; 08-Dec-10 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK - now I'm well and truly p'd off.

I phone.
    They check.
    I'm in good standing.

Three times I'm asked if I sent a written request.
    Three times I tell him yes - faxed on 22nd November.

OK. No written request on record, please fax again to this number....

And you'll never guess this....

Not in a million years....

It's the same f*cking fax number I faxed it to on the 22nd November.

Deep breaths, Dave. Deep breaths.

Thanks
    Being in your own business is not for sissies !!!

Come on....tomorrow might be better.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And my staff wonder how I fill the hours in the day

Thanks Martin

It's just that yesterday was sitting an hour and a bit in the "express" queue to pick up tax clearances, despite me having done the approval thingy on eFiling already.

Getting uFiling back up to speed is chewing hours (which just checking this thread is a mission that started in September).

And one other bureaucracy issue which has reraised it's ugly head this month (which I might get to posting something about one day).

So it's been a bit of a run. But Christmas is coming

I just feel sorry for the poor folk who aren't making money when they're sitting in the office attending to this sort of thing - like I used to be.

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave i hope you didnt call them and tell them i needed an assessment ...because within an hour of reading this thread my fax spat out an assessment from workmans comp.

and i was thinking poor dave having a bad day...i didnt even bother just filed it into file 13 for another day...to be sorted out.

if these people are so unorganised do they ever catch up with people who dont register or pay over money.

going a claim we put in in 2004 which is still pending i dont see how they ever do.

Thanks
    I found our the hard way (6 months) that you do not get a letter of good standing unless you stage a sit in at the office. My wife took it to the extreme and entered the building with a pillow and duvet and let security get the relevant people to come see her where she had invoked her "squatting rights". It then took a mere three hours to get the letter. It was well worth it as I was sitting nearly 600KM away on a site that I (along with 4 employees) had been asked to leave unless I could produce a letter of good standing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I got it in the end - phoning everyday for three days going "haven't got it yet - where is it?"

My tips - take careful note of the date and time you send the fax requesting the letter of good standing, and make sure your fax machine is loaded with your fax number as the sending number. Clearly the fax goes into an electronic waste bin which is ignored, but at least it's sort of searchable. Armed with fax number you sent the request to, your fax number, date and time, they can retrieve it.

And if you're persistent, they'll even process your request.

Ridiculous that this is what it takes, but it worked - eventually.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Something has got to be done.

Honestly, it's ridiculous that this letter of good standing issue continues the way it does. I've just drafted the following letter to my clients who keep our letter of good standing on file:

Re: Workmens Compensation – Letter of good standing.

Our latest letter of good standing from the Compensation Commissioner expired at the end of May 2011.

Attached please find a copy of our application for a new letter of good standing from Workmens Compensation.

Should you require a copy once it arrives, please ensure that our office is advised and we will forward it to you as soon as we receive it. I regret that past experience has shown that the office of The Commissioner can be tardy in processing these requests and accordingly cannot predict when this letter may be received by us.

In the interim, I warrant that all required returns have been timeously submitted and all assessments are paid up in full.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries or wish to discuss anything further.
    Should do for now, but honestly - something needs to be done to streamline this process.

The way it works at the moment is simply ridiculous!

Thanks
    This is where the urge to Photoshop the last one comes in ! I know it is not right but if you come up against this form of incompetence it becomes very tempting !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    hey all, just found the thread now ,if ever you guys need assistance with obtaining letters of good standing,from the Compensation Fund.

Feel free to give me a call , I might be able to assist.

Regards
    Ivan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast