Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your USP (unusual selling point)

Thanks

What is your USP (unusual selling point)

I have just read this article
    See, the water cooler company actually buys these dogs and pairs one up with each of their delivery guys. They know that admin staff at their client’s offices will just melt whenever puppy arrives with a water top-up.

It’s their customer retention strategy.

The office supplies industry is cut-throat. Every supplier is competing in an over-crowded market, racing their competitors to the bottom of their profit margins through aggressive discounts.
    This is a great idea of how to differentiate yourself from the competition. Now that is something to look for in the new year!
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Suspended
    Thanks
    being the pesimist that i am...my next question would be...has anyone thought what happens to the puppies once they grow up...do they just keep replacing the puppies with new ones and send the "dogs" no longer puppies to the pound...or the spca where the stats lean more towards the dog being exicuted after 2 weeks than finding a home....i hope for the dogs sakes...not...i hope the dogs are taken home and looked after by the cooler guys and not put in a cage for the next day just to make some corporate suckers happy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is a sad day, see this kind of behaviour is not to be tolerated. I am sorry but if I know a company is doing this then I will terminate my relations with that company. On every street at every robot there is a blind person running around with another person hoping to make you feel like sh!t so that you will give them money.

But what I really can’t stand is mentally retarded people and children being used at the local super-markets. Now I happen to know that these people have sponsors but still the person responsible for them are so bloody greedy that they will force those retarded people to sit there and beg!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but abusing animals like this are BS abusing people the same way must not be tolerated. I personally am so sick of charities because each year they get millions!!! But next year all that money is gone? Funny how those millions are not invested so that long term income can be provided....

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a useless charity, I personally made them aware of animal abuse in our community and to this day no action was EVER taken. Now the big boss wants to go around parading puppies its like saying “it’s your fault if this animal is not cared for but we will keep it as emotional ransom”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Wow what a tangent this has taken. From just putting out a different idea on business it turns into an animal abuse thread. I am sure that the points raised have been taken care of by the company, people will raise these points with the delivery guy who will answer them.

What I was looking for has anyone used something like this, say taking a little bag of biltong or a lindt with there deliveries. Just something so that customers look forward to receiving your products.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Wow what a tangent this has taken.
    I'll second that.

When I read the OP, in a way I was stumped, but looked forward to reading some unusual ideas. At least I got surprised

There are a few things I can think of that can be classed as unusual - at least to the extent that I haven't seen something similar being done by my competitors, and they seem to work.

But nothing as dramatic as puppies.

I've seen some unusual stuff in the way of attention grabbers. Wooden business cards comes to mind.

Then there was a competitor who dropped off envelopes all over town with an intro letter and a handful of Cryptotermes brevis fras inside (woodborer droppings in English - looks like poppy seed).

The idea was the prospect opened the letter, got a shower of fras in their lap, and the letter said something along the lines of "Just a reminder why you need me to check your house."

It sure was messy - and won me quite a few clients who didn't appreciate the mess. I guess I should have sent a thank you note to the poor guy. It really backfired quite badly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've seen some unusual stuff in the way of attention grabbers. Wooden business cards comes to mind.

Then there was a competitor who dropped off envelopes all over town with an intro letter and a handful of Cryptotermes brevis fras inside (woodborer droppings in English - looks like poppy seed).

The idea was the prospect opened the letter, got a shower of fras in their lap, and the letter said something along the lines of "Just a reminder why you need me to check your house."

It sure was messy - and won me quite a few clients who didn't appreciate the mess. I guess I should have sent a thank you note to the poor guy. It really backfired quite badly
    Dave
    Maybe we can get Adrianh to make us some wooden business cards on his new laser cutter .
    I ordered some toner refills from a company in the US and got a little packet of M&Ms with it. I was just too messy with the refills to carry on with that. My thoughts are it has to be something unusual so the customers appreciate it. So when I come up with an idea I will share it.
    One printshop near me used to hand out pads printed customer overruns (maybe rejects?) so the back had random printing. They have had to sell all there machines and still owe me R600 for a job I helped them out on.

Any other ideas.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just wait till the laser is installed....My brain is already running overtime with bright ideas...The ship has docked in Table Bay harbour and the containers are being moved to the depot - My wife thinks I'm totally crazy - tracking the container movements - I think she'll be too glad once the laser has been installed - then she wouldn't have to listen to my whinging about it anymore...like the kids (are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet...)

It is interesting what a negative effect advertising can have - There is a new Garmin ad on TV with a soldier landing in Normandy running, riding his bicycle and it eventually changes to him running a marathon with his Garmin. Some people love the ad because the GPS signifies his weapon - I really hate the ad - the progression from lucky soldier who didn't get shot to marathon runner just seems like a cheap shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    It is interesting what a negative effect advertising can have
    On the subject of advertising - It can have such a huge impact if done cleverly.
    The advertising guys at Nandos and Toyota, for instance, are absolute geniuses!

Also, with regard to USPs, do yourself a favour and read this thread blog post by one of my favourite online business gurus, Naomi Dunford: http://ittybiz.com/home-business-mar...homeless-dude/

She has this no-BS way of delivering content which not many people can do effectively. I for one enjoy her manner of going about things and that is definitely one of the best and most entertaining marketing posts I've read.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (09-Dec-10)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The advertising guys at Nandos and Toyota, for instance, are absolute geniuses!
    Nondo's is great but...

It is interesting how people see things differently - I can't stand the talking Toyota dog...

I just love all the Vodacom "We've been having it ads" - There's one ad where the general tells the guy to surf during the evening "Surf's up dude" - and he stands there shivering in his white underpants - brilliant (When the kids go "Surf's up dude" - we all know where it comes from)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry about the above I used to work for the SPCA as volunteer and it was not “nice”.

Well as any contractor knows, if you need to talk to management then a strip club is a good place to start, our beloved power company’s manager simply adore these clubs and the mining managers are a close second.

You then include a private table and very expensive drinks and you WILL get the contract it is 90% certainty. I also know of mine managers that accept expensive gifts like fishing trips is a really good incentive and works 80% of the time.

But if you deal with the customer the game changes. Having a pet in the office is never a good thing because it is a distraction. Rather a nice Golf set with a net, that is always a winner with the executive. Depending on the customer gifts like IPods works wonders I myself have done this. After you get the business you send a nice thank-you for your business gift, an R2500 IPod is a most wonderful gift and you do get repeat business.

Keep it fresh, R4000 notebooks are a close second and people enjoy it. I recommend you stay away from mobile phones because if they give trouble it is your fault that they couldn’t be reached.

Board games are really a bad idea, but a really good Idea is jewellery “moderately expensive look between R1000 to R2000 depending on the size of the sale. Expensive liquor range from R300 to R900 a bottle works well for the moderate customer.

Stay away from wooden or plastic business cards, they don’t work... No 4 GB USB flash drives that are surprisingly inexpensive when you buy in bulk is a much better idea because they will use it all the time and people will see it all the time...

Stay away from food, it is never good when your customer ends up with a stomach virus. But people love optically correct sunglasses worth about R300 to R600 depending on brand. “You do get good deals so shop around I have done this and people loved it.

Really it comes down to how much your customer is spending and if the customer is worthy of these gifts. I personally know that my notebook gifts worked very well.

As a side note IanF sorry about the first post it is just I get so angry when people use animals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USB.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	1450  
    Last edited by tec0; 09-Dec-10 at 10:32 AM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast