Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your USP (unusual selling point)

Thanks
    Teco
    No worries.
    The cheapest 4 gb memory stick I have seen is R49 +vat so that is a bit much per delivery. I just want to see if the trick is to give that little extra to the small guy in the company. One guy who ran a garage used to give a coke to company drivers when filling up so he got a lot of the corporate business like that.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Talking

I think that one needs to know who your "Marketing" target is. You need to SCHMOOZZZ the right people. If you are a corporate lawyer, giving flashy wooden business cards to the guy at the gate won't do you any good.

Once the target has been established, one can then look at ways to make the interaction more memorable. Ian, I can only summise that you would deliver posters or art to your customers - you want your customers to remember you and call on you again. The trick is to have the customer instantly associate your business with the product. Yes, one could take a puppy along, but this my work once or twice and it might backfire the third time when another staff member rocks up with the same puppy. I think it better to give the customer something useful that is in plain view. This is probably why desk top stationary items are so popular. The pen, ruler & calculator is generally found in plain sight on the desk. There was a time when mouse pads were popular gifts (for the same reason)

So, the questions are as follows:
    1. What can you give to a customer that will uniquely identify your business - keeping in mind that the object has to signify your business in some way - whilsts being cost effective (not cheap & tacky)?
    2. How can you ensure that the item stays in plain view?
    3. How do you make sure that your contact details are plain to see?
    4. Old hat?
    5. (Most important) Cost per item?

Some words that spring to mind to be used in the formulation of the answers:
    Q 1. Colour, art, printing, poster, card, birthday, calendar, 3D, photograph, photo frame, plastic, laminate, coffee mug, water bottle...
    Q2. Desk, screen, kitchen handbag, keys, keyring, photo frame, poster..
    Q3. Telephone number, email address, careful - too big (in your face) nice, subtle...
    Q4. Pen, calendar, ruler, business card, calculator.
    Q5. As little as possible.

I have a stunning idea that would be perfect for your business:

An Oragami photo frame

Think about it:

1. It costs nothing to make (bit of cardboard & paper).
    2. You can easily create new designs.
    3. Use your own facilities to print unique designs, shapes & colours.
    4. You have the equipment i.e. You can use a vinyl cutter or laser to cut the cardboard & paper.
    5. Your staff can put them together when they have nothing better to do with their time.
    6. You can even create a range that your customer can take home for the kids.
    7. They can be made in different sizes - a little one to stick onto the PC screen, a big one for the desk.

Ok, I'll shut up now, my brain is running away from me again...

3. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (11-Dec-10), IanF (11-Dec-10)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12