Thread: electronic ballasts are good business

Suspended
    Thanks

electronic ballasts are good business

now i can see why they are pushing the 5 ft fittings with electronic ballasts...

R200 for a fitting
    R125 for a replacement ballast and they dont last long...which could be a whole lot of factors but we wont go into that today...and the harmonics they generate in large building we wont go into that today either.

the old type 5 ft double fitting was R125 ex vat
    replacent ballast R30 and you only needed to replace 1 if it packed up...and only 1 lamp would be out...the beuty about the old type fitting is most of the time it was just a lamp which required replacement but i always changed the starter at the same tme because they were only R3.50...

now with the new 5 ft fitting...both lamps go out...so its good money for me to do repairs...smart move light fitting guys

when i requested the old type fitting today sorry no stock...

Thanks
    Are you talking about end-user prices here? We're paying less than R60.00 for a recognised brand 58w T8 electronic ballast and we've never had a warranty claim in years so they're pretty bullet proof.

Harmonics on decent electronic ballasts are far better than the magnetic ballast equivalents. It's stated at less that 10% THD on our ballasts which is derived from the sum of the triplen harmonics. Generally the THD would only be a critical factor if it exceeded 30% or more when it could cause high neutral currents.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i am having plenty problems with 5 ft electronic ballasts...R 125 was my cost today for another replacements...the electronic ballast i replaced today was a phillips one...i havent had a chance to carry out tests on the fittings lately...i will do it soon just to check for myself.

what does a T8 5 ft double sell for...you can send me a pm if you like...i was looking at the lamp insert with the reflector...but i didnt ask for a price.

by the way andy i replaced another faulty crabtree switch today...switching 3 x 400 watt hps fittings...thats only around 6 amps load...switch was cooked...honestly couldnt decide on what to replace it with though...with a switch load like 400 watt fittings it is difficult to decide which switch could take the switching load...i know it is not ideal to switch the fittings on and off with a light switch it is better to use a contactor but with only 3 lights...i souldnt be a problem...crabtree say their new switches are capable of switching 20 amps.

Thanks

Lightbulb Please assist

Good day,

I understand this post is quite old, however I require about 18 58w ballasts for a current project and regularly require them. Currently paying around R100.00, please will you forward the details of your supplier, if in Johannesburg.

Tnx

Suspended
    Thanks
    had to buy a couple of T5 fittings...real cheap junk ones (rabro) R260 ex vat...lamps R32 each

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We used lots and lots of single & dual Tridonic T8 Top ballasts. Not a single one has ever failed. (We did receive 1 or 2 that were faulty from the start but Tridonic sorted that out quick quick)

Thanks
    Tridonic is a good brand, my personal favorite is BAG but Tridonic is often cheaper so it's swings and roudabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Shaw View Post
    Good day,

I understand this post is quite old, however I require about 18 58w ballasts for a current project and regularly require them. Currently paying around R100.00, please will you forward the details of your supplier, if in Johannesburg.

Tnx
    I'm not a fan of discussing prices and discount structures on an open forum. Obviously being a long standing and trusted customer helps because the supplier knows your abilities and they know they're not going to get unnecessary warranty returns so they can give better prices. Volume is another big factor in the prices they'll give you. We pay less than you but we're a listed OEM. Our supplier is in Cape Town and I've been dealing with them for 20 years.

I know most customers work the other way around but last year I bought a Christmas bottle for my 3 main suppliers who have given us outstanding service and prices for many years. It was a good investment, I deal directly with the main branch manager, I don't get put on hold when I phone and I never stand in line at the counter and if I need something on a weekend it's never a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    had to buy a couple of T5 fittings...real cheap junk ones (rabro) R260 ex vat...lamps R32 each
    I'm not familiar with the exact fittings but were paying less than 100 bucks for a cheap 38w T5 fitting with electronic ballast. The lamp price means nothing without the make and wattage. PM me if you like!!

Thanks

Fluorescent Ballasts

Hi Guys Im new to this page and do notice it is a very old conversation. I know this may be way overdue but hey might as well give it a shot. I have a good couple of 1000 Ballasts 60 Watt and 20 Watt that I am looking to sell. Can you guys refer me to someone buying or is here maybe someone interested? At this stage R20 for the 60 watt and then R10 for the 20 watt but if a good quantity is bought I can even lower my price.

Thanks Kyle

Thanks
    They are brand new and still in boxes, they are currently in a partners warehouse in Kilarney Gardens in Cape Town.