Thread: Setup of Wireless LAN

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Setup of Wireless LAN

For those of you that might be interested......................

Now that I have canned the wireless router setup in my home, I have gone ahead in doing a setup where I can now connect to the net/mail with either a PC/laptop or my cellphone using my own LAN and not having to pay the high cellphone accounts. This is provided you have an ADSL line !
    In essence this means I am connected to my ISP 24/7 without having to dial up first, and this is broadcast through my home all the time. ( You cannot do a dial up from your cell unless it is maybe the latest models )

Well.....this is how I did it:

The Wireless AP Router,

Connect your AP Router to your PC/Laptop via a RJ45 cable. ( Normal LAN cable )
    Open your browser and enter the router IP address and U/N and P/W.
    You should now see the setup page for the router and somewhere a "wireless"
    option, click there and enable the wireless, this usually opens another option with a menu. Go to "basic" and enter the mode which should be "Access Point", next your SSID which is the name of your router e.g. "My connection" and the channel you want the system to use. ( This is to prevent your system and your neighbor's to clash )
    Next go to "security" and enter the encryption mode e.g. "WEP" "WPA" etc. If you chose WEP then you can chose to enter either 5 or 10 (Sometimes more depending on the router.) ASCI characters as a security code, obviously the more complicated the better BUT make sure you can remember the code or write it down because you are going to need this when you connect from the phone or PC. ( Just some advice..........do not use something easy like your name or car number and is always good to include special characters e.g. @,&,# ) Otherwise you might find other people hacking your code and using your internet account.
    "Apply" and reboot the router which is now set.
    Remove the RJ 45 cable

Then, ensure that your PC/laptop/cellphone can "see" the w/l lan ( The access point router ). If you have a present setup that is working, then even better, but assuming you do not , then open the wireless section on your PC via control panel.......network connections......wireless and do a search. Your w/l router should show in this search. Go back to network connections, right click on the wireless connection icon, properties and "Internet Protocol" , properties, and click on "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically". Close, close until you are back at desktop.

Now for the ADSL router.

Connect the RJ 45 cable to the router and PC.
    Insert the router IP address into your browser and enter the U/name and P/w. You should now see the setup page for your router.
    Go to configuration ...WAN........Protocol ( some routers use different terminology ) In essence you want to arrive at the protocol that gives you various options e.g. "Bridge", "MPoA" and then "PPPoA" ( This is the option you want ). Select this option and enter your ISP provided u/name and P/W . There are other settings but leave those at default.
    Save your settings and reboot the router and reconnect the ADSL router to the wireless router with the cable.
    On the PC, you now open the wireless connections again and click on the "My connection" and then "connect". You will now be asked to enter the security code previously entered into the wireless router. You only need to enter once !
    Now open your browser again and go to any URL
    If everything worked fine you should now be able to wirelessly and dialuplessly connect to the internet.

I certainly hope I have not left out anything but if so I apologize but please ask.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

2. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (03-Dec-10)