Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The virtual hunt of Wikileaks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The virtual hunt of Wikileaks

Interesting story http://blog.al.com/wire/2010/12/auth...leaks_fou.html

Just what are the limits on freedom of speech?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Every dog has its day...

Its good to see the great policeman of the universe with egg all over its face - they get what they deserve!

Thanks
    You know, a couple of weeks ago I was torn over the Wikileaks revelations of the government internal communiques, if it was a good thing or not and do the public really need this knida freedom of information to the n'th degree.

After the little performance of the US authorities over the last few days, any sympathy I had for them has evaporated. I read on some of the grayer IRC channels about unofficial recruitment and distributed web attacks in order to take servers down. I see the very suspicious timing of a rape charge and a suspiciously fast and near worldwide detention warrant and manhunt for a charge that hasn't even been finalised.

I'm now at the stage where I'm firmly in the corner of the underdog. I'm going to enjoy watching the authorities reaping what they sow. This saga isn't over by a long shot. ;-)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well freedom of speech will no longer be a problem because of this. See this scenario gave them every reason to remove freedom of speech from the constitution. All they needed was a reason and it was practically handed to them.

The truth is we have a right to know but there are people that think we don’t need to know so let’s make it illegal then they can lock people up for knowing.

See this is why prisons cruelty and prison rape goes unchecked. If prison is the closest thing to hell then people will fear it thus fear the laws. So we will lose our freedom of speech because we don’t want to end up in prison.

The true worry is who gave them the power to rewrite the constitution in the first place? The people???
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't been following the story that closely up to now. Scandal doesn't float my boat much and I'm certainly not surprised that internal correspondence of this sort is less than diplomatic. Big deal. It's the ugly truth - get over it. Up until now, my thought on the US response was they were fools - their reaction just confirmed the releases as valid.

But this campaign to shut Wikileaks down in rather questionable fashion suddenly makes the subject interesting.

Can someone get me up to speed:

What I don't get is how Wkileaks got the info in the first place. I see mention of theft. Or was it hacking? And was it Wikileaks, or was it a case of the information was passed onto them?

Diamond Member
    Thanks

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (03-Dec-10)

Thanks
    Asange has promised a wiki leak dump of documents from a large bank in the next few weeks, that is going to be interesting.

"Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    What I don't get is how Wkileaks got the info in the first place. I see mention of theft. Or was it hacking? And was it Wikileaks, or was it a case of the information was passed onto them?
    Wikileaks gets given the information by concerned whistle-blowers who had access to the info. It wasn't by unauthorised intrusion as far as I know. The US govt is enlisting the help of all and sundry to use DDoS techniques against the wikileaks servers. Touch wood it appears wikileaks was prepared for this type of action and already had their ducks in a row.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There is game at play here and the game is rigged. It is incredible how things normally turn out. What starts a leak in any organisation?

A leak starts when human morality is in question. A leak stars when someone was wronged. A leak stars when a truth was turned into a lie. Lastly a leak stars because of greed.

So, people can arrest people for trying to tell the public what is really happening hoping that the public will protect them. This never happens, so leaks are punishable by law.

See the reason behind the secrecy is not important, people simply accept that yes a bank has big managers and they are all allowed to change accounts and has access to all your information. But you and I are not allowed to go to board meetings.

The truth is, secrecy is the result of vanity, greed and envy. Secrecy keeps the powerful, powerful the rich, rich and blinds us all to the fact that we are free.

See they control us because we accept their systems and if we protest against them we go to those bad prisons that justify suicide.

So right now it just looks like another conspiracy but it is hidden history in the making.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I prefer to side with the underdog. Lovely to see the Seppo-Merkin spin machines working overtime.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast