Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The virtual hunt of Wikileaks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    The US govt is enlisting the help of all and sundry to use DDoS techniques against the wikileaks servers.
    That's why I'm suddenly interested. Ordinarily it's those people that I would expect to find on Interpol "wanted" lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Wikileaks gets given the information by concerned whistle-blowers who had access to the info. It wasn't by unauthorised intrusion as far as I know.
    I haven't seen any reports that suggest otherwise either.

I appreciate that the internet is the virtual equivalent of the wild west of yore. Maintaining law and order is certainly not easy.
    It looks like Bradley Manning could well have a really serious charge to answer in the USA.
    I could understand the USA declaring Assange persona non grata for entry into the USA.

But the events of the past couple of days begs the questions:
    • What is the USA's legal grounds for having Assange put on an international most-wanted list?
    • Is the USA guilty of orchestrating and/or encouraging cyber-terrorism?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That's why I'm suddenly interested. Ordinarily it's those people that I would expect to find on Interpol "wanted" lists.
    The US has a long history of double standards. They're happy to justify using methods they have condemned up to that point as long as it's for their ends, not someone elses. Torture at Guantanamo is one that springs immediately to mind. More recently they've been using homeland security to close down websites for copyright infringement then seizing the domain without any legal proceedings or recourse for the registered owner. Maybe copyright infringement is now classed as terrorism.....who knows?

I haven't seen any reports that suggest otherwise either.
    You can be assured that if the info wikileaks obtained was gained through illegal channels we would never hear the last of it. The US authorities would be spoon feeding the media with horror stories about those nasty hackers and pentagon security breaches.
    I appreciate that the internet is the virtual equivalent of the wild west of yore. Maintaining law and order is certainly not easy.
    He hee heee, yeah, great innit?
    I foresee some radical changes in the core structure of the internet in the next few years. Between dotcom domain seizures for purely capitalist reasons and the coming COICA legislation being steamrollered through as we speak, people are running to places like China to register domains and host nameservers. Kinda ironic that you're less likely to be censored in China than in the USA. Alas it's true, China only censors for political reasons whereas the US censors for economic ones. The laughable thing is that both countries are equally extreme, just for different reasons.

But the events of the past couple of days begs the questions:
    • What is the USA's legal grounds for having Assange put on an international most-wanted list?
    • Is the USA guilty of orchestrating and/or encouraging cyber-terrorism?
    I'm sure they'll let us know their grounds once they've found something they can spin.
    The US isn't necessarily guilty of encouraging cyber-terrorism but they're guilty of using it for their own ends and glaring double standards as I mentioned above.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not as convinced as you are that the internet should be a total free-for-all. For example there are certain activities (scams, phishing, DDoS attacks) where I'm inclined to think the perpetrators should be pursuable across national borders.

I'm not married to the idea - I'm not sure if that would be the thin end of the wedge opening the door to more draconian regulation. And of course there's the problem of wherever you have regulators, who regulates them? I certainly wouldn't want to have the politicians in charge.

Maybe it's best leaving things the way they are in the end? After all, the USA is catching some serious stick about the way they've gone about this.

I suspect just how this case finally shakes out is going to give some telling clues.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I remember I wrote something about UK internet being monitored for downloading uploading and e-mail along with searches. If a person is guilty of any transgression it is a slam-dunk.

Freedom... no...
    Law... no...

Control... Bingo!

Control ensures that government remain unchallenged and in control. See freedom as it is, is an allusion. The only privacy you will have left is in your mind and that is it. Street cameras will watch you officers, security personal will intimidate you and the law will force you to do everything as they see fit.

See once you realise that none of this so called leaks have any real importance other than giving powerful people an excuse to destroy another constitutional right, you see the bigger picture.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Personally I think Wikileaks can be compared to a bunch of kids misbehaving with things far greater than they can remotely comprehend. There is very good reasons why diplomacy and government secrets needs to exist. But I certainly do not have ANY sympathy for the US government, who is probably the most ignorant, immoral and undiplomatic country in the world. Imagine a few leaks on the 911 incident, I can imagine a few exhausts nipping atm.

I see MasterCard has been hacked by Russians in retaliation for them freezing Wikileaks funds. This is steering into the direction of the 3rd world war... I am afraid that Internet regulating is not far off and that makes me angry with the idiots of Wikileaks!
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    This is steering into the direction of the 3rd world war...
    www - the first cyber war

Has a certain ring to it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Arrow The virtual hunt of WikiLeaks

If you want to join an international petition to stop the "persecution" of WikiLeaks go to -http://www.opednews.com/populum/linkframe.php?linkid=123238

At least read what the petition organizers have to say. I think they are right to say that it is quite simple - if the law has been broken - then prosecute ... otherwise shut it.

My personal experience of the need for secrecy is that in 99.9% of instances it is not indicated except for deviant reasons.

To date I have not seen any information "leaked" by WikiLeaks that is "dangerous" or "objectionable".

I also find it interesting that Julien Assagne( of WikiLeaks), accused of "sexual misconduct", is denied bail by the English Courts, but Shrien Divani, accused of murderingg his bride in SA, gets bail. Hnmnnn........
    Let us have the conversation!
    Blog: http://coginito.blogspot.com Cognito ergo sum

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I agree 100% with Chatmaster.

Thanks
    This is going to be another hunt for "saddam hussein." America went into the country with claims of WMDs, and found NOTHING. then all of a sudden they captured saddam and decided to kill him. Sure he wasn't the nicest guy around, but they completely disregarded any protocol or human rights. The truth is, there's a country that has a footprint that is increasing, and pretty soon there won't be anyone who can step on its toes with enough force to stop it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Latest news - Julian Assange has been granted bail - but more interestingly no charges have been made as yet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast