i get called out to fix a machine and find the pot. for the VSD is sticking...so i supply and replace it...i test it check the machine is operating correctly and leave...an hour later i get a call from the customer...the machine is on fire!!!

so i return to find that the pot i replaced has burnt and exploded...so i take the old one and put it back and reconnect it...check the outputs from the vsd and verify all is correct...and test run the machine to see that there is nothing else which could have caused the component to fail...it works but the pot sticks which is why we replaced it...so i am happy.

i take the new pot back to the supplier...he tells me there is no warrenty on any electrical components they sell....so i purchase a new one fit it and do the tests again to verify the outputs are correct...everything is correct and i walk away.

so what now...who pays for the second call out and the new pot. which i had to buy again...and what if the fire had spread and burnt to the machine to the ground...a printing machine worth R2.5 million...who would be responsible? and even worse what happens if the entire factory had burnt to the ground being a printing factory with highly flammable components worth millions