Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marketing My Business Online

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips!

We are currently busy with our websites SEO, reviewing the content etc etc

Hopefully after that we will get much higher rankings.

Don't you think advertising space on a web design companies website makes it look cheap? perhaps that's just my naive opinion lol.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antec View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

We are currently busy with our websites SEO, reviewing the content etc etc

Hopefully after that we will get much higher rankings.

Don't you think advertising space on a web design companies website makes it look cheap? perhaps that's just my naive opinion lol.
    I could agree more. What you should be doing is going out and getting A LOT of links that are the company name and company website. After you have about 20-30 domains where you have that, then you can start going after keywords you want to rank for. Keyword links without a "branded" place on the web would bring about an unnatural link profile, and hurt the site's rankings in the long run (or just make the chance for you to rank take a lot longer).

Pardon the ramble,
    -Jan

Thanks
    Hi Guys
    Agreed with the early link profile Jan, the big g doesn't like to see keyword optimised anchor text early on in a site's life, we generally reccommend a 2-3 month slow intro to our clients then start to ramp it up after 3 months but even then we suggest a wide range of anchors for the link building, 5-10 at the 3-5 month stage then 1-3 after that. Link building is the big issue in any sort of competitive market with search engines. The big G has over 200 factors that its algorithm is judging your website by(we have gone through all the patent filings as they are all in the public domain) but link building assuming your on page SEO is at least a 5 out of 10 will have the greatest impact.

One difficulty I see that needs to be overcome is that on-site SEO on its own probably isn't going to make much of a difference in this case. The website builder/company website etc. space is one of the most competitve out there when it comes to organic search.

Yes, you need to do it anyway - it's part of the foundation of establishing a meaningful online presence, but it's probably going to take a lot more besides to get the results you want.

There's quite a few threads on TFSA talking about other mechanisms for online promotion. To get you started, some of the very best have been started by Chatmaster.
    Agreed Dave, the term Website design will be pretty competitive but there are plenty of longer tail keywords that have useful traffic particularly adding geo modifiers and IMHO the average website designer's SEO stinks so i am sure you could cut through the rankings like a knife through butter if you took a 6 month view. In the meantime why don't you gets some sample sites created or offer a cheap deal to get some testimonials, particularly video testimonials which you can put on your site and use as a landing page for adwords or facebook ppc.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (06-Jan-11)

Thanks
    You can hire a marketing assistant to do this job for you, and imho, handing out flyers are not as effective as it was before unless your target market are only the people in your neighborhood... go with forum posting and adding good contents to your website to generate good leads

Thanks
    I am an old school salesman, and find the best way to connect with customers is to go and see them or get on a phone and start making calls. I do find that when I connect with a customer, one of the first things they ask for is my website details. I'm no internet marketing boffin, but I do think that the more hits you get the higher you'll go in the rankings. Some of the other members who knows more can comment on that statement.

I don't think that to put up a website or ad in a publication and hope for the best will do the trick. Contrary to belief sales is actually very hard work and time consuming. Unless you have a passion for sales, get someone else to do your marketing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12