Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup of wireless routers

Thanks

Setup of wireless routers

I posted this on Broadband Forum but so far not much success !

Can somebody help.?

I have difficulty in connecting my Routers.

Firstly I have my ADSL router connected ( wired ) to my first AP wireless router and from there I string the wireless routers further into the house . All routers are Canyon N series. I want to setup a WAN and to do this I have put the ISP info into the first AP wireless router and connected the LAN cable to the WAN port on the AP router.?

My question : In order to "string " the routers further into the house I have to enter a new SSID and AP router SSID into each of the following routers and set these to "repeater" mode. Does this mean that router 4 will try to connect direct to AP router or will it connect through router 3 ? And if not......how do I get it to connect through router 3 ?
    I find that the signal gets progressively weaker as I connect to routers along the line up to where router 4 will not connect to the WAN.
    Also on the PC...........do I put the Gateway as that of the AP router ? And what DNS ?
    Should I use the "repeater" function in 2,3 and 4 or the "AP Bridge WDS"

I am totally clueless at this stage.

I hope I have explained this correctly !
    Last edited by Martinco; 15-Nov-10 at 01:30 PM. Reason: missing info
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trying to picture this.... The more I read it, the more I felt that post needed murdock's signature as a disclaimer.

The big question is whether you're trying to set up a WAN or a LAN.

All the devices on a wireless network LAN need to employ the same SSID.

If you really want to set up a WAN, don't use the AP's as repeaters - rather have them set as routers where you have their WAN "modem" set as the particular AP's SSID that you want it to feed off (assuming the hardware accepts a wireless WAN connection - none of mine does, but it's not exactly bleeding edge kit - I have to connect a WAN supply point to a router with DHCP service device by cable).
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Nov-10 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think it might help if you read up on wireless service sets.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Trying to picture this.... The more I read it, the more I felt that post needed murdock's signature as a disclaimer.

The big question is whether you're trying to set up a WAN or a LAN.
    Yep also unsure what I want !!!!

I presently have a LAN as follows: ADSL router, then W/L AP router and 3 W/L routers down line as repeaters. As the signal goes down I goes weaker and have been advised to change to a WAN with the settings on the routers to AP bridge WDS settings but I am unsure how to correctly do the settings on all routers. ( I have to use Mac addresses ) Also I assume that on my PC I have to set the gateway IP same as the first A P Router ? Huh ?
    Also a WAN makes more sense to me as I can then connect my cellphone to WAN as well.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I'd cable the connection from the router back to the distant repeater to overcome the signal strength problem. I'd be far happier with that than trying to run a repeater off a repeater. The chances of a dropped packet or packet crash must escalate enormously.

There are little devices that'll do it via your electrical wiring if running the cable is a problem.

Whether you run the AP's as repeaters or seperate routers (effectively individual LAN pockets) is an issue of simplicity ( guess that's why you're struggling )

Think of a WAN as a collection of LANs, a network within a network - and the gateway address is always the part that sets the IP range of the

Gonna have to think about how to explain this.

All you network wizzes out there, jump in any time

Thanks
    Well all I know is that through repeater and connection of one-to-one connectivity reduces the efficiency of the whole system and increases packet loss. ANd as every router works for itself then i think you should employ one and use fibre optics...and router 4 will connect only to router 3. Mostly for all the rest i have a fuzzy idea. BTW what was your motive behind stringing together all these routers...what you need is a port.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Duncan View Post
    Well all I know is that through repeater and connection of one-to-one connectivity reduces the efficiency of the whole system and increases packet loss. ANd as every router works for itself then i think you should employ one and use fibre optics...and router 4 will connect only to router 3. Mostly for all the rest i have a fuzzy idea. BTW what was your motive behind stringing together all these routers...what you need is a port.

Only to extend the distance covered and fibre optic is not an option, must be wireless, but I am solving the problem by installing a high power router that can reach a distance of 20 Kms (Illegal without a license ) but the radio power can be adjusted lower to fall within legal limits. The above obviously at a price !
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    but I am solving the problem by installing a high power router that can reach a distance of 20 Kms
    Eish! No flies on you

Suspended
    Thanks
    and all this so you can log onto the forum sa

wow dave impressive...did you ever think you would have people go to such extremes to log onto your forum.

wheeeessssh over the top...feels like i had way to many cocktails and they still havent worn off

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    and all this so you can log onto the forum sa

wow dave impressive...did you ever think you would have people go to such extremes to log onto your forum.

Well.............trying my best to be an active member but how about a contribution towards this "welding torch" router ? Or maybe protective clothing that I can wear when I am near this monster ?
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast